1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PartitionMagic boot code boundary

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by thewolfe, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thewolfe

thewolfe Thread Starter

PartitionMagic boot code boundary

I need to resize my C: partition, which now contains WinME, to install XP . I have Win2k on the extended partition. My concern is resizing C: and moving my Win2k partition so that one or both would not be bootable. I recall when I first set this up a couple of years ago that I move things around and the system would not boot and I had to start over again.

I have a screen shot if someone would be willing to look at it and tell me what I can or cannot do.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

W2K doesn't have that problem, shouldn't be a problem. If you leave ME on the C: drive, and make sure that W2K doesn't get moved to a new drive letter, all is well. :)

3. thewolfe

thewolfe Thread Starter

Step 1
    Moved the Win2k partition inside the left triangle indicators to make more space to inlarge C:.

So for so good. Will know inlarge C: and report back

4. thewolfe

thewolfe Thread Starter

Step 2 completed.

I have inlarged the C: drive to accommodate the XP.

Now I'm going to "pop" in the XP disk and see if it gives me the option to Format C: and install XP.

I'll be back..........

5. thewolfe

thewolfe Thread Starter

OK, here's where I am.

Started XP setup. Selected C: to install which is where WinMe is. Got a warning that said XP may have a problem because of the existing OS (WinME) and may not function properly.

It did not give me the option to format C:.

What now?

6. thewolfe

thewolfe Thread Starter

XP install in place of ME

I want to install XP on my C: drive which now has WinME.

I was told that XP would re-format C: but instead it gives me a warning that I already have an OS on C: and that XP may not function properly.

There is also an option to delete C: partition and create a new one.

I am running Partition Magic and have ME on C:, Data on D:, NTFS on E:, Win2k on F: and so on......

Will XP use the same size partition? If not I'm afraid it would mess up the rest of my partitions.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The option to delete the C: partition and create a new one is how you want to go if you want to nuke ME and install XP. As always, a backup is a good idea, in case things go badly. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117897

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice