1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PartitionMagic Help (Resizing a partition)

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Matt.21, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Matt.21

Matt.21 Thread Starter

I am having a lot of trouble in resizing a partition that I created a few days ago. I stupidly wasn't thinking when I created it and made it a total size of 7.8MB (very helpful). I have tried to resize that partition (Drive P) to make it bigger by taking space from my primary drive (Drive C). Drive C: is 140GB and has 13GB free space.

My problem is that when I select Drive P and then click on "Resize/Move Partition" in the side menu, I am told that both the minimum and maximum size of the drive is 7.8MB and clicking the arrow buttons on any of the options won't change the numbers in them. Basically it won't let me put a "New Size" in for that option. Also, both partitions C and D, are NTFS. I am not the best when it comes to computers but any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance

2. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

You may want to download "GParted" (live CD) and use it instead of PM. PM has created problems for some users. "GParted" has been endorsed here at TSG.

{redoak}

3. Athan

Athan

You can download G-Parted from here!!
    I have used version 0.3.1 to good effect !

You will find these screenshots useful !

Download the iso, and burn the image to disk. then boot from it !

all the best

~a

4. DVOM

DVOM

How many partitions are on this hard drive and how are they configured. If there isn't a partition right next to your P partition that can be reduced in size, there's not going to be a way to increase the size of the P partition.

5. Matt.21

Matt.21 Thread Starter

There are 3 partitions on this hard drive - Drive C, P and D. Drives C and P are both next to each other and are of type NTFS. Drive C is primary and P is logical as that was how I was told to make it. Drive D is FAT32 and also a primary drive which came with the computer when i bought it and is named HP_RECOVERY. I have never touched it as I think I'm better off leaving it alone.

Also drive C has 13GB of free space so you would think that would be enough to put around 8GB across to drive P which is all I want to do.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I'm gonna go and have a look that G-Parted iso now and hopefully that program will make things possible for me. Will mounting it with Deamon Tools work just as well as burning it? I'm guessing that would be fine...?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

GParted works well with one proviso. Your drive needs to be completely defragmented before you try to resize an NTFS partition with it or you may end up with a disaster.

It is a better idea to partition when Windows is not running, i.e., from the boot CD. I wouldn't run it from an emulator.

If you are using Vista, stay away from the Linux tools altogether and use the Vista tools to resize, if possible. Boot from the CD or DVD, get a command prompt, and run diskpart.exe.

7. DVOM

DVOM

First you have to reduce the size of your C partition to create the amount of unallocated space you want to add to your P partition.

Then, keep in mind, that your logical P partition consists of an extended partition with a logical partition within it. That means you've got to expand the extended partition first before you can expand the logical P partition within that extended partition.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648350

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice