1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PartitionMagic-Me replace w/ XP on C

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by thewolfe, Feb 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thewolfe

thewolfe Thread Starter

PartitionMagic-Me replace w/ XP on C

I have my hard drive partitioned as follows: C = Win me(original OS), D = Data (All created files), E = NTFS (don't use), F =Win2k (OS that I use), G = second hard drive, H&I = CD and CDRW.

I would like to reformat C and install XP. Is that possible?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Shouldn't be an issue, but I wouldn't format it. I'd just remove ME from the BOOT.INI, remove all the files except the W2K boot files, and get it working booting W2K without any issues. Then, install XP on C:, and it'll generate the necessary dual boot to access both O/S versions.

3. thewolfe

thewolfe Thread Starter

Is this the file:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=6
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
    C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Recovery Console" /cmdcons
    C:\="Microsoft Windows"

Also, what do you mean by "all the files" and last but not least, PartitionMagic is Version 6 and installed on C:

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Alter this file to read:

boot loader]
    timeout=6
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
    C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Recovery Console" /cmdcons

by deleting the last line:

C:\="Microsoft Windows"

Then, you can delete all the directories on this drive, just leave the following files in the root, the others can go:

ntldr
    NTDETECT.COM
    BOOT.INI
    pagefile.sys

Now you should have a clean boot to W2K, and you can start the XP install on C:, but DON'T format C:, just use the file system as is.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117530

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice