PartitionMagic-Me replace w/ XP on C

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

thewolfe

PartitionMagic-Me replace w/ XP on C

I have my hard drive partitioned as follows: C = Win me(original OS), D = Data (All created files), E = NTFS (don't use), F =Win2k (OS that I use), G = second hard drive, H&I = CD and CDRW.

I would like to reformat C and install XP. Is that possible?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Shouldn't be an issue, but I wouldn't format it. I'd just remove ME from the BOOT.INI, remove all the files except the W2K boot files, and get it working booting W2K without any issues. Then, install XP on C:, and it'll generate the necessary dual boot to access both O/S versions.

thewolfe

Is this the file:
[boot loader]
timeout=6
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Recovery Console" /cmdcons
C:\="Microsoft Windows"

Also, what do you mean by "all the files" and last but not least, PartitionMagic is Version 6 and installed on C:

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Alter this file to read:

boot loader]
timeout=6
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Recovery Console" /cmdcons

by deleting the last line:

C:\="Microsoft Windows"

Then, you can delete all the directories on this drive, just leave the following files in the root, the others can go:

ntldr
NTDETECT.COM
BOOT.INI
pagefile.sys

Now you should have a clean boot to W2K, and you can start the XP install on C:, but DON'T format C:, just use the file system as is.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online