1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PartitionMagic size limit?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Venture, Jan 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Venture

Venture Thread Starter

I just ordered and received PartitionMagic 7.0, which claims "Partition hard drives as large as 80 GB." Before I screw up my system when I get home, does anyone know if this 80 GB limit refers to the size of the partition, or the hard drive size prior to partitioning? In other words, can I use this program on my 120 GB hard drive, so long as the partitions I make don't exceed 80 GB? Or do I need to order the upgrade (which supports 160 GB) since my drive exceeds 80 GB.
    Thanks in advance for any input.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I used PM 7 on my 120gig drives without issue, but now I have PM 8, and it worked on a 200gig WD drive recently. I'd STRONGLY recommend you have a backup when resizing partitions, I once had PM lose a bunch of files (though not everything) during a resize.:rolleyes:

3. Venture

Venture Thread Starter

Thanks very much for the quick reply, the info, and the tip. My system is new and I have the restore disk, so I think that will serve OK as my backup.

4. Venture

Venture Thread Starter

I went ahead and did the partition, and all appears to be working OK. I did get an error that aborted the partitioning part way through, but I think (I'm not sure) that it was unrelated to drive size. When I restarted PartitionMagic7 and checked the drive, I saw that my first partition had been resized correctly, but my second partition had not been created and that portion of the drive was listed as "unallocated." I then used the program to allocate the unallocated part of the drive to a new partition, and everything seems to be working OK.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You must live under a lucky star. :) It's usually a bad sign when PM bombs in the middle of a run. :D

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!