1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

partitions and

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kerri Ann, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

ok, i bought a used computer from someone the other day that they had given up on. i'm not sure what they thought was wrong with it, but it works fine for me. system beep, bios ok, all that. when i went to delete any partitions on the hdd, it said there were no logical dos partitions to delete, no primary partitions. but then something was using 100% of it. i'm new to all this fdisk stuff, so i'm not sure what this means. is it a different os? before i did any of this, when i first booted the computer, win2k came up asking for the admin password. (i don't have it, of course)
    so how is it that win2k was installed, but no partitions, not even a primary one?
    also, now that i have fdisked and partitioned the drive, i tried to install win2k, and after going through all 4 win2k boot disks, it tells me something about acpi (or aspi maybe), and won't let me install from cd. ?????

2. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

i forgot to finish typing the subject...... oops!

3. mobo

mobo

Could be Linux on it as fdisk doesn't pick it up. If it is a maxtor drive you could write zeroes to the drive which would bring it back to factory spec by using this

Ok so there is w2k on it . can you set the bios to boot from cdrom ? If so then do so and reboot with either 2000 or xp cd to install.Or waht other system did you want to put on it ?

4. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

ui could put me on it, but it's a celeron 1ghz, and i assumed that it could handle 2k without problems. what do you think?

5. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

ok, acpi is advanced configuration and power interface. so that message must mean that my machine doesn't support that. F7 should disable it....

6. mobo

mobo

It deffinitly could. You may want to try this if you wish to try and use the current system

7. mobo

mobo

Do you have a w2k cdrom ?

8. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

yes, i do, and i already know its bootable...

9. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

oh, i already formatted the hdd

10. mobo

mobo

Just set the bios to boot from cdrom and let her go with the cd in the drive..

11. mobo

mobo

It will format during installation anyway so that ok..

12. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

ok, i'll do that and post back.
    thanks

13. mobo

mobo

No problem, post back if anything arises..

14. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

ok, it's all good. i just had to change the boot sequence, and there was also a setting in the bios for the acpi thing too. so i disabled that, and win2k is installed.
    thanks motherboard!

15. mobo

mobo

You're welcome but now check in device manager for any things that need attention.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!