1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Partitions

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by WesNathan, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WesNathan

WesNathan Thread Starter

Here I am again, this time changing topics a bit.

I'm preparing to install Win 7 on our home machines (2 desktops, 1 laptop, maybe...it's an old Dell C600. Don't know if I can boost the 512 mb to 2 gig or not)

I have a 250 gig hard drive I took out of an old Gateway and I'm using it as an external now. I have about 140 gig of programs and stuff I'd like to keep. I've been trying to re-partition the drive to create a second partition. My plan is to store the files I want to keep from the current desktop on it, then use Easy Transfer to move them over to Win 7.

I've tried 2 partition programs (EASEUS Partition Master and Mini Tool Partition Wizard.) They both do the exact same thing. They start OK, and get a third of the way through, then hang up. I wait a half hour, figuring maybe something's going on behind the scenes that the progress bars aren't showing. Nothing doing.

I havn't tried the Win XP partition program yet. Guess I figured if these two can't get it done, why bother with Windows. But Windows has surprised once or twice in the past so I may try it anyway.

Anybody have any idea why these two supposed good programs can't finish the job?

Thanks,

Wes

PS: The steps I took:
    1 Reduced the size of the original partition from 240 gig to 152 gig.
    2 Formatted the unallocated space (about 74 gig).
    3 Selected it, then turned the partition programs loose.
    Nada.

2. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    I have used EASEUS Partition Master a couple of times and never had any problems. What part does it hang at? The part when you reboot, and then EASEUS does it things and then it hangs there?

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Disk error is one possibility that comes to mind. Run a disk check.

4. DVOM

DVOM

When you reduce the size of the original partition, are you doing it from the left side or the right side? If your partitioning program has to move 140 G of data, it's going to take several hours so you can expect it to "just sit there" with seemingly no movement.

Also, it's extremely easy to lose all of your data by shutting down a partitioning program while it is working.

All of your data....poof!

5. WesNathan

WesNathan Thread Starter

Wow. Did quick check to be sure my data was still on the part I want to keep. It is. I would think the guys who wrote the software would let the user know in plain language that it could take several hours with nothing apparently happening, including the progress bars.

I did notice on one occasion when I finally decided to shut it down, it flashed by very quickly, but it appeared it was almost finished. The progress bars were almost all the way across.

I'll try it again. This time I'll let it run for several hours.

6. rainforest123

rainforest123

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088630

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice