1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PartitionTragic

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by babylon303, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. babylon303

babylon303 Thread Starter

Hi all,

I am in severe need of increasing the size of my XP partition on this machine. I've given up with Partition Magic, as I keep getting the reocurring "xmnt2002 not found - skipping AUTOCHECK" error, even though I've tried all the fixes online, the Partition resize never takes place, and the error returns after I create the registry re-patch.
    (www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=439106)

Can anyone recommend a simple, good, free Partition utility that will allow me to take unused space from another partition on that drive and put it into the XP drive?

Thanks for any help you can give.

babylon303

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

3. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

4. ceri sheeran

ceri sheeran

Hi,

What version of Partition Magic are you using and what file system XP FAT32 or NTFS.

Set the program to only carry out each operation separately and then Apply Each Change one by one.

Rebooting in between. It will take longer but is a great deal safer.

Don't resize one disk / partition down and another up etc. in the same operation.

Backup before using the program.

Make the rescue disk set.

hth

Ceri

5. babylon303

babylon303 Thread Starter

OK. Here's the deal.

I've got 3 hard drives in my PC.

Disk 1 - 2 partitions. Win 98 and an Apps partition.
    Disk 2 - 2 partitions. Win XP and an Apps partition.
    Disk 3 - 1 partition. Apps and media.

All FAT32.

It's Disk 2 I'm wanting to resize. I want to move about 4Gb of unused space over to the XP partition as there's only about 100Mb of space left. I'm using PM8. Can someone give clear instructions on how to go about doing the suggestions shown in the previous post?

Thanks for all your help!

6. jbcalg

jbcalg

i vaguely recall i had a similar problem - wasn't enough room on the destination partition to complete the resize

can you move some files/data to Apps partition first, then try the resize?
    try and get at leats 500mb free first
    and do the 1 operation at a time method suggested above just to be safe
    (to be even safer - image the disk 2 partitions and save the images to another disk first)

process:
    move data from XP to Apps
    open PM (i use it only in sim-DOS mode, not the windows gui)
    1. resize Apps partition, moving 4gb to beginning of partition
    (there's 3 lines of numbers, current size in middle, increase the size of space at top, before/in front of partition)
    perform operation

2. format unallocated space
    perform operation

3. merge unallocated space to XP partition
    perform operation

7. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

It may be due to the places on the disk that the partitions are located. I'd go with the previous posters methodology and image each partition to another drive, then delete the partitions, repartition the disk, and restore the images.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325351

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice