1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Partiular BSOD preventing boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by risingTide, Jan 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. risingTide

risingTide Thread Starter

Greetings,

Over the last few weeks I was getting some random stop errors at various times. They became more frequent and now I cannot even start windows without a stop error. I had begun troubleshooting both my sticks of RAM and both passed MemTest. I haven't added any new hardware recently either. I've also checked my drive with SeaTools for DOS. This is Seagate's HD Diagnositc tools (which also works with Maxtor drives which is what I'm dealing with).

I'm stuck because I also get the stop error in Safe Mode which I have never had happen before. However, now that it crashes on boot it always gives the same error:

0x000000D0: DRIVER_CORRUPTED_MMPOOL

Also, I'm working on getting my drive to read a copy of UBCD4Win, which I still haven't sucessfully done. And also I'm working on getting SystemRescueCD to work; I've gotten further with that one in that it actually recognizes it as bootable but freezes at various points while booting.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can try next? I need to somehow access my drive and perform some more tests/diagnostics on it, but from outside Windows since it won't boot.

Many thanks. (I'll happily supply any more info that is needed.)

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

See this article

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms796128.aspx

You can try the suggestion in the article

Use this boot CD to edit the registry

http://www.pcregedit.com/

If you have problems booting to the pcregedit cd, try disconnecting the cd drive and see if the PC will boot normally.

3. risingTide

I'm not too familiar with modifying the registry, but I know it can be dangerous. Will this cause any other problems or is this particular value pretty safe to modify?

(Not that I have much of a choice, but I was just wondering!)

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Not sure, I have never done it, but the article was written by Microsoft if that makes us feel any better.

5. risingTide

Okay. Well, the CD freezes at various points in the boot process about half the time. The other half of the time it makes it through and I get a black screen with a mouse pointer and that's it.

In case it was a bad download I re-downloaded the file. I also re-burned the iso twice (at the lowest speed I could - 4X). I know that the particular brand of media that I used is recognized by my machine because I can boot other Linux CDs from it.

Any thoughts?

6. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

I would run a memory tester
    http://www.memtest.org/

Download the prebuilt ISO, burn it to CD as an Image, boot from that CD and run the memory test for a couple of hours or overnight to stress test the memory.

Hopefully this bootable CD will run.

7. risingTide

I've already run MemTest on it overnight with no errors.

8. risingTide

Okay, here is an update:

I was able to access the problematic drive (finally) using UBCD4Win. I have used these tools:

I ran MemTest on it for 13 passes with no errors.
    I ran checkdisk /r with no errors.
    I ran Emsa DiskCheck with only one error:

I ran HD Tune with the following results:

I ran Western Digital's WinDlg which passed both the short and extended tests.

So, besides the one error above for Emsa DiskCheck I have pretty much ruled out the BSODs being a memory or hard drive issue. This makes sense because the particular errors I am getting look like driver issues.

Now, I also tried the suggestion mentioned above in the MSDN article and added (since it didn't exist) the particular registry value and set the DWORD to 1. (I actually added the value in two control sets - 1 and 6 - since they both had the particular key mentioned.) I rebooted and still receive this error when I try to boot in safe mode:

0x000000D0: DRIVER_CORRUPTED_MMPOOL

and this one when I try to boot regularly:

0x000000C5: DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL

After I tried to boot I also rechecked the registry but the value that I added had not been altered.

So...I'm still left with BSODs, but I have access to the drive. Can anyone assist me in a further step? Your help is very appreciated.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/894401

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice