1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Parts compatibility

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by karciukas123456, Sep 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. karciukas123456

karciukas123456 Thread Starter

Hi, so I was thinking about upgrading my PC setup with a GTX 1080-ti, but I'am not a PC guy so I don't really know if it will be compatible with other parts. So I would like to know if my current setup would work with 1080-ti or would I have to upgrade other parts as well.

Here is what I'am currently working with:

Processor:
    Intel Core i5-4690K, Socket-LGA1150
    Quad Core, 3.5GHz, 6MB, 88W, 22nm, HD4600, incl. cooler

Wirless Adapter:
    ASUS PCE-AC56 AC1300 Trådløs Adapter
    Dual Band AC PCI-E Adapter 400+900Mbps

Storage:
    HyperX Fury SSD 240GB 2,5"
    SATA3.0, 7mm, SF-2281, 500/500MB/s read/write

Seagate Barracuda® 2TB
    SATA 6Gb/s (SATA 3.0), 64MB Cache, 7200RPM, 3.5"

Power Supply:
    Corsair CX 750M, 750W PSU
    ATX 12V V2.3, 80 Plus Bronze, Modular. 4x 6+2pin PCIe, 8x SATA, 6x Molex

Memory:
    HyperX Fury DDR3 1600MHz 8GB Black
    2x4GB 1600MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM (Kit of 2) HyperX Fury Black Series PnP

Case:
    Corsair Carbide 200R Midi Tower Sort
    1x 120mm Front, 1x 120mm Bak, mATX, ATX, 2x USB 3.0

Motherboard:
    ASUS B85M-GAMER, Socket-1150
    m-ATX, B85, DDR3, 1xPCIe-x16, Intel GbLAN, VGA,HDMI, SupremeFX

Video Card:
    Gainward GeForce GTX 970 4GB
    PCI-Express 3.0, DL-DVI-I, mini-HDMI 2.0, 2x mini-DP, UEFI

Monitor:
    Acer XG270 Huomidpx

CPU Cooler:
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

2. elitetechsvc

elitetechsvc

First Name:
    Aaron
    The question you are asking isn't really the right question to ask.

Is a 1080ti compatible with your hardware? Yes, your motherboard has a x16 PCI-E 3.0 slot, and your PSU is plenty big....so nothing to make it incompatible.

However, your CPU (while a heck of one, my kids game on one) will likely be a slight bottleneck for the 1080ti in GPU bound games. Also, you would definitely need to upgrade your RAM to 16GB.

Honestly, I'd limit the GPU for that CPU to a 1070 or 1070ti at the most.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Clipboard1.jpg Clipboard2.jpg

I'm not a hardware/gaming expert, but I'll give you my 2 cents worth of advice anyway.

Instead of switching to a better performing and more power hungry graphic card (which will be bottlenecked by the processor), do as Aaron advised and add another 8 GB of RAM.

----------------------------------------------------------------

4. cjs3120

cjs3120

I am new day 1 new here . Sorry for posting here I just don't know where to ask questions .
    I want to buy a 2 in 1 laptop it is a Asus Q535UD -BI7T11 and has a sata m.2 256gb ssd
    I want to switch obviously to a NVMe now I have seen m.2 nvme with the B and M keys but wanted to know since Asus never got back to me and did not know if I can run any nvme before I purchase this . Please help I did ask on best buy and the best answer I received was "I have a very similar motherboard / Asus laptop and yes NVMe will work " but /I askes in the store and geek squad said no ??? So Please help I even went into the bios in store and saw sata
    AHCI I dind not know where to look for nvme /pcie /or sata to switch it or if I had to have a nvme in it to do that , Well that's as much as I know and I really want this laptop but do not want to waste 1400$ on something that's the same speed as my asus q550 with a 840 pro 2.5" ssd sata

5. cjs3120

cjs3120

I want to know if the Asus Q535UD-BI7T11 (which has a m.2 sata regular ssd can be swapped with nvme and set up to run nvme at 1700mbps or higher ), Kingston makes a M.2 B and M slot M.2 that would fit exactally as the sata ssd but says will not work with sata 3 . I do not know what that means . My main goal would be to run a 970 Samsung pro or evo NVMe M.2 They only have the 5 pins on the right side no left side 6 pins its just a long slide of pins then 5 pins on left . Can it be done please help and sorry for posting here I could not find a question section

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216228

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice