1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Parts of keyboard not working, letter A part of my password and I cannot get in

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Djohnson2, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Djohnson2

Djohnson2 Thread Starter

Please help, I was having trouble with the middle row of the keyboard not working properly, and when I went to log back in, part of my password (letters on keybord) not working, so I cannot get in.
    I have no clue what to do, I cannot get in the computer, I am currently on another computer, is there anything I can do besides starting from scratch, please can anyone help?

2. huggie54

huggie54

can you get into safe mode,make and model,desktop or lappy?

3. Djohnson2

Djohnson2 Thread Starter

How do I do that?

4. Djohnson2

Djohnson2 Thread Starter

Ok, I got there, it is a Sony FE Series Laptop, with XP

5. Djohnson2

Djohnson2 Thread Starter

I'm at the "Windows Advanced Options" with either Safe Mode, Safe mode with networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Enable Boot Logging, Enable VGA Mode, Last known Good Configuration, Directory Restore Mode (Windows Domain controllers only) Debugging Mode, Disable Automatic restart on system failure.
    So do I click Safe Mode?

6. huggie54

huggie54

yes,does you keyboard work now

7. Djohnson2

Djohnson2 Thread Starter

Yes, everything that was not working is now in safe mode, that is good, so how to fix for regular?
    Thanks Huggie

8. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

I'm trying to think of a way of opening the Onscreen Keyboard in Safe Mode and setting it as a StartUp option so it works in Normal as well. While I try to work this out - unless someone else can - give it a try - it may open in Normal automatically if you leave it in the tray when you shut down Safe Mode.

EDIT we need a way to add osk.exe to StartUp as a RunOnce. Nearly there - I'll get back to you. :D

9. huggie54

huggie54

go to control panel>system>hardware>device manager and go down the list to keyboards,is there a Yellow ! or a Red X at the front,if so and you are connected to the internet,highlight it ,then go to the action tab and update driver,if this dosn't work right-click the keyboard and uninstall,reboot your machine and let it reinstall automatically. g/luck Huggie54

10. Djohnson2

Djohnson2 Thread Starter

I checked everything in the Device Manager, nothing with a yellow! or a red x or question mark.
    I can't get the computer online in safe mode.

11. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

OK - in Safe Mode go Start>Run and type in regedit then hit Enter. Navigate to H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software>Microsoft>Windows>Current Version>Run. Select Expandable String Value from the Edit>New menu then double click in the value you just created. Write the string as follows:-

C:\Windows\System32\osk.exe and then click on OK. Close the Registry from the file menu and restart into Normal Mode.

The Onscreen keyboard should at least allow you access with your password and you can set about finding out what's wrong with the keyboard.

12. Djohnson2

Djohnson2 Thread Starter

I followed all the way through and reached "Run" but after that, I do not have the option to select "Exandable String Value from the Edit"
    In the side window when I click run, I have "Default" AVG9_Tray, Itunes, Quicktime, Sunjava, WD Drive.
    Under Run, I have OptionalComponents, IMAIL, MAPI, MSFS.

13. huggie54

huggie54

nice one saga lout,do as saga lout has instructed,uninstall your keyboard,reboot see what the outcome is

14. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

It's Edit>New and then Expandable etc.

15. Djohnson2

Djohnson2 Thread Starter

Well, I finally found the place, but the slash "\" I could not get to work, so it's still not working. I don't know what to do now?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916640