1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Passing software to a new Computer

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Remnorz, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Remnorz

Remnorz Thread Starter

I searched a bit, but I don't seem to find anything for this... I'm also pretty sure I know the answer but to cross-check here it goes...

I have a computer I need to reformat... windows is just plain gone, I spent all last night trying to fix windows and I just couldn't, tried almost everything and at the end even did a repair install and the computer booted up with the same windows files missing etc... I ran 4 different av software and I won't even go into the anti-spy ware software I tried... so I finally decided to make a clone of my computer into a new hd and after I tested everything was working I used another "new" hd to install a fresh copy of windows.

Here's the part I hate... I have every license for the programs I used on the computer... but most of them (around 70%) where bought online... most of these are no longer available or too old to find in the net, for those that I find, I'm in the process of downloading or asking the company to send me a copy etc etc... but for those that are not available, well... I'm in a bad situation. I can build another computer and just leave the messed up windows and keep using it till it goes kaput, or as in this case I can try to find some way to get the software to work on my new computer...

So the question is: "Is there a way to copy the software from the old windows to the new windows?"

If not I'll just have to go with plan A) and just build a new system and keep the old windows as it was till it just doesn't work anymore... well... or just try eBay and find the old software... I guess :p.

2. Rick_in_Fla

Rick_in_Fla

You can not copy installed programs from one computer to another, they will have to be reinstalled.
    Whenever you purchase software online it's a good idea to burn a copy (or 2)to cd along with any serial/activation numbers associated with them.

3. Remnorz

Remnorz Thread Starter

Yeah that's what I thought... Thanks for the response... I already bought 2 of them on eBay since some are so old I'm getting them really cheap, so it's not so bad.

:)

4. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

Alternative to burning a CD: Create a folder into which move the download "exe" files. These go along with my backups to an XHDD.

{redoak}

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644773

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice