1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Passport External Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Natasha6, Apr 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Natasha6

Natasha6 Thread Starter

My computer has stopped backing up my information on my Passport external drive. "Windows Backup Failed while determining libraries locations of one of the uses included in the backup" . What does this mean and how can I fix it? All tests run on the Passport say it's running properly.

2. pip22

pip22

Test the drive containing the data that Windows is attempting to back up.
    The links to the drive manufacturer's diagnostic software are here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

If the drive passes the test, check for file system errors using Windows Error Checker:
    Right-click the drive and choose Properties.
    Click the Tools tab.
    Click Check Now.
    Tick both options.
    Click Start.

If it's the system drive, error-checker can't run inside Windows, so restart.

3. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Hey, Natasha6! Welcome to Techguy! First of all, it would be helpful to know which version of Windows you are running, and exactly what tests you've run on the Passport. Have you run any diagnostics on your primary drive? Problems with either drive could cause errors. The link that pip22 posted doesn't, unfortunately, include the most current diagnostics for all drives. For the Passport, you can find current diagnostics here. Without knowing the brand of your primary drive, I can't make specific suggestions for test software, but Drive Fitness Test always serves in a pinch. Anyway, I'd start by testing both drives, and then we can move on to other possible problems.

4. Natasha6

Natasha6 Thread Starter

I am running Windows 7 on my laptop. My external drive is My Passport. Every time I try to back up my computer on my Passport, it says "Windows Backup failed while determining libraries location of one of the uses included in backup. Details: Incorrect Function". If I manually copy my files onto my Passport it works, but if I try to run an automatic backup, it fails.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1049668

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice