password for drives or folders

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

granwei

Hi! I have a drive that I would like to password protect. I checked the "share and security" option and I can not check the "make this folder private". My XP is got password for log in in my computer but I'd like to be able to just set up a password to any drive or folder so people could just use my computer without having to share it completely or to create a new user account. how can i do that? thank you

granwei

it appears that i have to convert the whole drive to NTFS format if I want to do any of those things. isn't there any freeware that would simply password protect a file or folder? I really don't want to lose my backups from XP(thats what apparently hapens when you convert it) plus I have all the files I want in that folder and don't want to risk anything happen to them.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
you really need NTFS to have any type of Folder or File Security.

Can anyone help solve my problem over at this other thread: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/426607-drive-help.html? My post is near the bottom.

I have an old PC server at home running XP Pro that has all my mp3's, photos, documents, and downloaded program files on it. This PC is connected directly to my wireless router, which is connected to my DSL modem.

I have a desktop PC (with a wireless PC card) and a laptop (with built-in wireless) that both connect to it regularly to use those files (either to read or to write to). Both run XP Home.

When I set it up, I read somewhere (found the link: HERE, about half way down) that it's good to password-protect network drives for some reason (probably security), so I did that. Every time my desktop connects to the server after a reboot, I must enter a password to use the drives on it - but no so with my laptop (for some odd reason). I now realize that this is pointless and I want to undo it, but I can't figure out how to.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online