1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Password for windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by silverado4, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. silverado4

silverado4 Thread Starter

When I first got my windows 7 system, I removed the "windows password" so it will go right into the windows desktop. I now want to put a password back in. I clicked on control panels user account and family safety. I clicked create password. I did that, and I re-booted. It did not ask for a password. I want this to come up because I want it to be in a sleep mode then ask for a password when it is awakened. I also want to create a disk to reset the password in case I forgot it. The selections is for everything except "D" which I think where it should keep the information. What am I doing wrong. Thanks.

2. VirtualHawk86

VirtualHawk86

Have you tried creating a new profile?

It might be an issue with your current profile. Rename this profile .old restart the machine and log into the same username you have now. That should create a new profile which then you can then set the password to be enabled. Restart the machine again and you should see the login screen come up asking you for a password for that user account.

3. silverado4

silverado4 Thread Starter

Tried to figure out how to do the above, but couldn't. I just left it alone without a password.
    Thanks for your help.

4. VirtualHawk86

VirtualHawk86

Sorry to hear that.

It might be easier for you to create a new User account with a password. If it works, then all you will need to do is move all files on current user account to the new user account.

5. Kirbie

Kirbie

by creating the password it will then automaticly ask for a background file. Start, control panel, user acounts, then theres a range of options and one of them will be to add a passwrod. :)

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Click Start -> Run. Type control userpasswords2. Click OK. Check the box "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer."

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/997728

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice