1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

password for wireless modem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by berylward, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. berylward

berylward Thread Starter

I am a novice, so need really specific instructions of where to find 'browsers etc'......I have wireless connected but someone is poaching on it, as I got a msg to say so - can you help me put a password on so this cannot continue please. I have Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2 (my pc is Fujitsu Siemens Celeron CPU 2.80 GHz 224 MB of RAM

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, you didn't tell us the most important part, the make/model of the router! :D

3. berylward

berylward Thread Starter

Air Station 54 Buffalo WYR G54 is that any good?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What kind of message are you seeing that tells you someone else is using your Internet connection? I'd be a bit suspicious since I've not heard of a wireless router generating such a message.

5. berylward

berylward Thread Starter

well, it was last week (only saw it once ) my pc was acting a bit slow and then a little window came up saying something 'like'..........sharing your computer......I then sussed that maybe the guy next door (who has just moved back into his property after vacating for last 6 mths) is prob getting freeby access from me...........not seent the msg since.....ofcourse it may not have been referring to this but I thought so

6. berylward

berylward Thread Starter

I don't think you got my reply did you - about the 'sharing the computer' message

7. geniebug

geniebug

Isnt anyone able to help this person?

8. Hughv

Hughv

9. geniebug

geniebug

This lady is my friend in the UK, she doesnt know too much about computers. I'm in Australia, and I told her to contact you.

What she really wants to know is - how does she set up a password to stop other users from bludging off hers. I could not help her. If you could spell it out simply that would be great.

Many thanks.

10. Hughv

Hughv

This is clearly spelled out in the manual.
    I see the link doesn't work-probably because it's psp.
    If she doesn't have the manual on her install CD, she can go here:
    http://www.buffalotech.com/
    Click on her region and go to Support/Downloads/Archive products and find the download page for her model.

11. geniebug

geniebug

Thanks, I will try and talk her through it somehow

Appreciate your help.

12. berylward

berylward Thread Starter

well, good news, I finally got to put my password on - found the cd/Manual as you suggested. P.S. A 'techy' set my pc up so I knew nothing about this... anyway thanks for the info guys

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/672171