1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Password Lost/ Recovery help

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by mistapitts, Jul 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mistapitts

mistapitts Thread Starter

Hi,
    The other day for some stupid reason I decided to change my laptops password to whatever it was I was thinking of that day and now I can't remember what it is. There is a partitioned recovery drive on the computer that I am wondering if I can access to reformat the hardrive so I can get back on my computer. On my old desktop the restore option would come up on the BIOS screen but now I don't know if I have to be logged onto access it because I can't seem to find an option for it. Please help me this is my new laptop and now I can't even use it.

It's a Vista Home Premium Dell
    and has a partitioned recovery drive in it.

Thanks,
    James

2. centauricw

centauricw

Dell doesn't display the key sequence to access the recovery partition on boot. Unless Dell changed it, it will be CTRL-F11. You need to start repeatedly punching this in as soon as the BIOS checks starts up.

Remember, this reformats the hard drive and you will loose all your data.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!