1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Password Managers

Discussion in 'General Security' started by alwrmc, Dec 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

I have approximately 96 sites that I use/visit (not all daily) and which require passwords. I have considered trying a password manager such as LastPass but have not been convinced that the switch to it's use would be easily accomplished.
    Is there an installation guide that I can peruse prior to downloading and installing? I have some questions that I would like answered before I make that decision.
    1. Does it remove/replace the passwords that I have already registered on each site?
    2. If I change computers or reformat the current device will those passwords be lost?
    3. I have a few sites that require password changes on a regular basis, such as every 90 days. How would a PW manager handle that?
    4. I assume I would need to install it also on my smartphone and tablet?

Thank you

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  2. Sponsor

3. DaveA

DaveA David Trusted Advisor

I have tried a few of them, but none I have found works without some software installed.
    I carry a thumb drive with a TXT file which can be read by ANY text editor on any OS.

4. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

i do the same
    as well as a backup

5. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies, but they have not addressed/answered the questions I asked. I have 0f course gone to the website for LastPass and read the various FAQS but that has not (to me at least) cleared up the questions either.

6. TonyB25

TonyB25

No. It stores passwords that you enter.
    No. They're stored on LastPass's servers.
    You would update the password for that site in the software. It doesn't happen automatically.
    You can. You don't have to.

Carrying all passwords in clear text on a flash drive is a big security risk. If it's lost, all the data is available to the person who finds it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2016
  7. DaveA

DaveA David Trusted Advisor

I do NOT have any thing in file name or with the text it's self that refers to password or to me. If I was to lose the thumb drive, no one would come looking for me and would not know what the data is for.

8. lunarlander

lunarlander

Try making the passwords easier to remember by using different themes for different kinds of sites. So you might have a Star Trek theme with several different passwords for forums, and a holiday theme for another kind of site, and so on.

9. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

Of all the sites that I frequent only about 5-6 are sites that actually have access to any of my personal data. The rest of them could drop the requirement for passwords completely and no one would notice.
    I was under the impression that it generated secure passwords on it's own...Tony B25 indicates that I must enter my own.

10. TonyB25

TonyB25

It includes a password generator, but you have to actually save it for the site you want to use it for.

11. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

I went to the LastPass download site and once again took a look at the software (it has been awhile since I last considered it). LP for windows Edge is an extension to Edge that does not seem to get very good reviews. I believe I will pass on this once again.
    Marking this Solved.

12. TonyB25

TonyB25

It's an extension on ALL browsers. You can always just go to the vault and copy passwords. The extension just offers additional features.

13. effingpot

effingpot Mike

I got so fed up with the various password managers - I developed my own :) It's pretty simple but syncs across 6 platforms quite nicely so I'm finally happy!
    Making your own app as a non developer is a blast and makes a nice change from the day job, you should try it :)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1182800