1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Password no longer works

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Alaska Len, Jan 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alaska Len

Alaska Len Thread Starter

I changed the computer which is running Windows 2000 server from a domain to a work group and then rebooted. When it came back up The password to get into windows was no longer recognized.
    Can I reinstall windows 2000 without losing files and still get back into windows?
    I have already done the F8 thing, It seems to be booting fine. It's just when you get to the login screen it won't accept the password.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Are you trying login as the domain admin or the local administrator user?

3. Alaska Len

There was only 1 password and I believe it was the administrator

4. Alaska Len

Sorry about that, local administrator

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

So you are typing administrator for the username. Usually the domain admin is just admin if I remember correctly. has been along time since I worked on a Windows domain.

6. Alaska Len

no, I've tried administrator for the user name
    and admin for the password and it just sits there and tells me that I'm using the wrong password.
    There is no option for network logon when I reboot it. It just comes up with the local username and password prompt to get into windows

7. Alaska Len

Just wanted to post what we ended up doing to correct the problem. Especially since our help desk never called back. We ended up removing the hard drive from the computer and putting it into another computer as a slave harddrive. At that point we were able to extract all of the important files. We then formatted the harddrive and then reinstalled it into the original computer. We were never able to solve the password problem while the hard drive was the master, without formatting. But at least we were able to extract the important files. Thanks for the suggestions.

8. awalker0878

awalker0878 Removed by request

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435476

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice