1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Password Override Windows Xp Pro

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by huggabugg, Mar 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. huggabugg

huggabugg Thread Starter

Hi everyone,:eek:
    I just bought 5 IBM Thinkpads "AS IS" at an auction. Apparently they are passworded.

I know there is a combo hotkeys to press to bypass the password, does anyone know them? Or anyway other way to bypass the password.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and helping.:D

2. huggabugg

huggabugg Thread Starter

I purchased five (5) IBM Thinkpads "As Is" at an auction, they all have passwords. Does anyone know how to override?

The whole Safe Mode and using Admin doesn't work. Arrggghhh, Now I know why they were so cheap:mad: .

3. striker0204

striker0204 Banned

yahhhhhhh, if you mentioned XP Home or 2000 or 98 i could help you... xp pro is pretty fricken locked down...go to somewhere like best buy, go to the geek squad, they have bootable floppies and stuff where you can override crapola

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

It's very easy to get pass previous passwords with XP (Home or Pro)

There is a boot disk you can download at:
    http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

that will let you reset the password of any account on NT4, Windows2000 or XP.

Just follow all the default settings which are for the admin account. Used it many
    times with great success.

They also have a bootable CD image you can download.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Fortunately it is a lot less complicated than that other solution.

Basically just boot with a floppy or CD, take all the defaults, and reset the admin password. Not too much to figure out. It actually gets posted on this forum quite a bit.

7. striker0204

striker0204 Banned

hmm. i think ill try that. guess you can just throw my prev. post right in the cann

8. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Chuck Trusted Advisor

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Then they wouldn't have been able to boot from safe mode as mentioned in the first post.

10. maxibhoy

maxibhoy

If you have any trouble with any of the other methods you could try this. Basically in XP the account passwords and usernames are stored in the sam file. c:\windows\system32\config\sam. Unfortuney on XP the passwords are encrypted but alas that's not really a problem either. Since they are encrypted though you'll also need another file c:\windows\system32\config\system. Now to get these files the easiest way in my opinion is to use a live cd like knoppix or puppy linux to boot into the computer. Knoppix is actually easier as you won't need to mount the drive beforehand to acces the windows partition in linux. Right so assuming you'll be using knoppix, which is availible for free download from www.knopper.net, after you've downloaded this burn it with nero or any software that will burn iso files. Then boot from this into the laptop. Once in it will present the windows partitions on the desktop. Simply click (once) into this and navigate to C:\windows\system32\config\ and simply drag the two files sam and system onto some other media (usb flash drive would be perfect) Once you have these files download saminside (just google it, it's everywhere) saminside will get you every user account and password in no more than 5 mins. and there you go. You'll probably find they all have the same or simillar passwords if they where all from one business or something. Who knows, maybe not. This info is for use for legal purposes only and only because i'm satisfied that it is going to be am i giving it.

11. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Chuck Trusted Advisor

I must be too much of a pessimist. I read "The whole Safe Mode and using Admin doesn't work." as possibly meaning they could could not get to Safe Mode to try and make it work.

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Actually if you don't care about any previous user accounts, just delete the sam file entirely. Then you will be simply left with an administrator account with no password.

13. maxibhoy

maxibhoy

I'm sure that only works with pre xp machines.

14. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

What happened when you tried it?

Of course the boot floppy mentioned earlier is way faster than messing with the sam file yourself.

15. maxibhoy

maxibhoy

Security accounts manager failed to initialize seems to ring a bell.

Well at least he's got plenty options now.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/556270