1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Password protect individual folders on mapped drives?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Everway9, Oct 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Everway9

Everway9 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Drew
    Hiya all. :)

At work I have setup a usb hard drive on the router and have mapped the drive on our users windows 10 pc's.

I am creating two folders on the drive. One for general use and one for sensitive files.

If it is possible I would like to password protect the folder with the sensitive files so that only authorised users can access it by entering a password.

Please can you help?

Many thanks in advance. :)

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You might be able too depending on the options in the router. If you had a NAS you could set permissions on various shares & folders based on the user's account/credentials.

Everway9 likes this.
  3. Everway9

Everway9 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Drew
    Hiya Triple6. :)

Thanks for your post.

Unfortunately the only option for a password for the hard drive is to use the routers admin details and that password protects the whole drive. The router is a Netgear Nighthawk D7000. And the USB drive is a Western Digital MyPassport 1TB Red.

And yes.. a NAS unit would be ideal but we can't afford one at the moment unfortunately.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    When you can afford one I'd look at a QNAP NAS.

Everway9 likes this.
  5. Everway9

Everway9 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Drew
    Yeah. Qnap ones are ok. I also like the Synology, Buffalo terastation, and WesternDigital PR/EX series. I own a WD PR2100 12TB myself but work ain't getting it. :D

6. Everway9

Everway9 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Drew
    I haven't checked it out yet but the MyPassport drive has hardware encryption. That maybe of some use.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No, encryption is of no use here.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1198374

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice