1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

password protect local XP volume

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Rikku, Jan 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rikku

Rikku Thread Starter

On a standalone Windows XP Pro computer, is there a way to password protect a volume (drive)?

Basically, there is a User (no password) that is logged into the machine at all times, but I'd like to setup one of the volumes so that its unaccessible except by entering a password (or username & password) when it needs to be accessed. Sort of like you would do if you had a share on another machine in your workgroup that was password protected...except this is local.

Thanks!

2. Lardog

Lardog

There is no way natively to do this in XP. You would have to use some 3rd party application.

You can, however, use NTFS, then set access permissions on the volume, so that only certain accounts have access to it. You can even define the level of access, whether it be read only or read/write.

Of course, you would then need to create seperate user accunts for each user accessing the system, or at least a seperate account for yourself and one other common account for everyone else.

3. Rikku

Rikku Thread Starter

I suspected as much....

I did some looking and found a program called 'Hide Folders' (http://www.fspro.net/hfxp/index.html) which seems like it would do what i need although not as nicely as something integrated into XP.

I would like something that transparently protect volumes so that as soon as someone attempts to access it, a password prompt comes up.

Its funny - seems like such a simple thing, but it must be hard to implement! :confused:

Thanks lardog.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!