1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

password protect picture files?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by mgrady2681, Jan 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mgrady2681

mgrady2681 Thread Starter

Please help! My mother in law snoops through my computer, camera, and ipad and takes whatever pictures she wants with her flash drive. Wondering what is the best way to keep my documents and pictures secure?? A password on the folder?

Also, is there a way to see when she inserted her mass storage device to take my pictures??
    I am so NOT tech savy, any help is GREATLY appreciated! :D

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi mgrady2681, and welcome to TSG.

If you are the only one using the computer, why not just create a password protected user account and make sure that the admin account has a password and any guest account is disabled? Make sure that the computer is set to require a password when waking up from hibernation or sleep mode. If there is a possibility she may snoop while you step away from the computer, make sure to lock the computer when stepping away.

Keep the camera in a locked drawer to which only you have the key. If the camera needs to be used by other people, let every user have their own memory card to use with the camera. Keep your memory card locked away when you are not using it. Make sure that you do not use any of the camera's built in memory to store pictures.

3. mgrady2681

mgrady2681 Thread Starter

Thank you!

4. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

I'd concur with cwwozniak, and re-emphasize the importance of physical security in data protection. Even with password protected systems, it's generally fairly easy to bypass that. Some versions of Windows and some software will allow you to create encrypted files and folders, but it's really a lot simpler, more reliable, and safer to keep data you want to protect on media you can keep under lock and key. It's a lot harder to crack a safe than most passwords.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1038256

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice