1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

password protect

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by sasnak, Feb 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sasnak

sasnak Thread Starter

When I got my computer some years back,I remember having to type in a password and my name (I think) to open Windows or to just enter the computer. I was thinking that you could do something to get rid of the sign in box and I did. So when i turn it on it starts up Windows.
    Is there a password protection at startup I can install to prevent prying eyes from getting into my computer?

2. RandyG

RandyG

There is a BIOS password you can set that will not allow the system to boot up until the password is entered, so it won;t even go into Windows.

You do this by entering the Startup when your system is just starting to boot up. Usually you will see something along the lines of Pres F1 to enter Setup or maybe it'll be Delete, or something else. In the BIOS setup, you will be able to find the Security section that will allow you to enable the password, and set what the password is.

One word of warning though, don;t lose that password!!:D;)

3. sasnak

sasnak Thread Starter

Randy,
    Thanks for the info.
    Steve

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117383

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice