Password Protected folder

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ian80

Is there a way to block just one folder with a password, making files in it only accessable to those who know the password?

ian80

OK, new problem! :D

I downloaded a program called Lock It Express. I installed it and locked the folder "MyDocuments\Ian\Chicago". Then, when I went to access the folder "MyDocuments\Ian" is was called Ian_ (with that new unscore added). When I try to acces it,it says "The folder does not exist". What the heck happened? I can't access the lock it program either, because it was in that folder. Also, if I try to acces a program in this folder I get a system error 1026.

ian80

Should I just restore my registry? Will that fix it? Is there an easier way?

Del

You might be able to download that lock it program again, outside the locked folder and run it to open the locked one, not sure thou as I've never used it. Just a guess you may try.

ian80

Ok, I tried downloading the program and then uninstalling, but I still can't access the files in that defective folder.
I also tried restoring an old registry - did nothing.

Anyone?

Del

Please don't take me wrong, don't mean to make lite of your plight, but you definatly have a secure folder there.
Did you check their site for answers? Like an FAQ on what to do if you can't access the folder?

Why did you uninstall the program? If the program can Lock a folder, then it'll also Unlock it. Did you try that, unlocking the folder. I know a lot of utilities that do the same, protecting the folders but they're shareware...infact I use one of the freeware its called Fake Folder. Fake Folder adds the Control Panel registry key as the extension, so if you protect a folder using that program, the next time you try to access the folder Control Panel will open. If you can PM me your email address I'll mail you the program. Its a small 100KB exe.

As far as the current 'problem' is concerned, try this and this should solve it -

Start->Run->command [enter]

Once at the C:\Windows Desktop> prompt type -

cd\ [enter]
cd mydocu~1 [enter]

You'll get the C:\My Documents> prompt. Now this is the important step. You've to type this very carefully.

ren IanAlt+2+5+5 Ian [enter]

In the above command, type ren then Ian, next hold down the Alt key, then press the numbers 2,5,5 in order on the Numpad only. The character for Alt+2+5+5 is the _

So thats how the folder is protected. By just the _ and Alt+2+5+5 procedure.

You can as well protect the folders just by these DOS commands without using any programs.

If you need more help, feel free to ask.

Del

PV9, he didn't uninstall the program, but he had it in the folder that he locked. Now he can't get into the folder to run the program.

Oh ok! Thx for the info Del.

Well he can install it to some other location/folder may be and try unlocking this folder.

OR

He can try the few DOS commands and that should solve the problem. :rolleyes:

Del

Sorry PVC9, just reread the thread, he did redownload it and try to uninstall it. I told him to try downloading it again and set it up the same way and try to open the locked folder. He must have misunderstood.

ian80

OK, I read your posts and there is a misunderstanding. Here's the problem - The folder that is screwed up is NOT the one I locked. I had locked a subfolder of the one I am speaking of.

Post back with the exact path of the folder(also the name of the folder you locked)

Is it Ian or Chicago or ? Which folder did you lock and where is it located?

Did you try the installation to a different folder and unlocking the locked folder?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online