1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Password protecting a wireless router (not WEP/WPA key)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by blake_lives, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blake_lives

blake_lives Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I couldn't think of a less confusing title so sorry about that. My aunt called me up with a question today and I'm not quite sure if it's even possible. Her son has a few times used all of her monthly download allowance through his phone (which accesses the wireless network). She asked me if there's some way to password-protect the network so that she would have to manually enter the password, and then next time he tries to log on, she would need to enter it again? If she changed the WEP/WPA key then once she has entered it once he would be able to access it at any time. Again I'm not sure if this is possible but if it is I'm sure someone here would know how.

Thanks very much.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Many routers have some type of filters that can be set to allow or block Internet access based on the MAC address of the device. Depending on the brand and model of the router she may only need to enter the MAC address of the phone one time and then use a check box to enable and disable the access. She would also need to change the router's admin password to something only she would know.

3. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

There is another way but I doubt your aunt will want to deal with the complexity. It's the enterprise version of AES encryption which requires a certificate and a domain controller to authenticate logon access. The cert validates your computer is authorized to be on the network and then you have to log in to the network using a valid domain user account. Once these things are successfully completed, the encryption key generated is based off user login credentials. The IEEE standard for this setup is 802.1x.

So the above will do what your aunt wants which is to have to require a user account and password only she will know. But the flip side of this is, she'll have to purchase a wireless router/access point which supports 802.1x authentication. In addition, she'll have to set up a RADIUS server along with a domain controller.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914134

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice