1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

password protecting files on a network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ste2223, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ste2223

ste2223 Thread Starter

Hi, I have networked 3 pc's using a router. 2 of the pc's belong to me but 1 of them is a family pc, so the whole family goes on it. The problem is that I can access files off all the pc's from both my pc's, but the family pc can also access files off my pc's. Now is there a way of password protecting my 2 pc's files so that only someone can access the files form the family pc with the correct password. This way I can access my files form the family pc but no one else can without the password. Im sorry if this sounds long winded and makes no sence. Thanks!

Ste2223

2. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    I'm going to assume that this is just a normal workgroup and not a domain. Make sure of the following:

1) All computer share the same workgroup name.
    2) All computers are using a difference IP address.
    3) All usernames and passwords for the network are set up on all machines.

3. austinguy

austinguy

"Makes no _sense_," you mean? First, which operating systems are you using?

In Windows 2000 and XP it's pretty easy to password protect files. On your computer, if you're using Windows XP, go to My Computer, click on Tools -> Folder Options, click on View. Scroll down and uncheck "Use simple file sharing."

Go to the folder (or file) you want to password protect, right click and go to Properties, click on the Security tab. Make sure the "Everyone" and "Administrators" groups aren't in the list, and add your username.

Note: You must have a password associated with your username for this to work. You can set this by going to Start -> Control Panel -> User Accounts.

If you're using another operating system, it'll require different steps.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328209

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice