1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Password Protection

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by agent2x4, Jan 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. agent2x4

agent2x4 Thread Starter

Is there a way to password protect certain files? For example, I'd like to keep mildly sensitive items from work in the computer, say for instance in the "my documents" folder. Is there a way to password protect that folder so if someone uses my computer, they just can't waltz in there and look around? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Bob

2. Mahmud603

Mahmud603

Yes if you are using Windows XP (NTFS). Otherwise you would need a third party utility. Do a search on Google.

3. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

PGP is a great, free encryption program. It lets you choose the encryption strength, for your purposes the lowest setting will do, and even that is not from easy to crack. It goes up to 2048 bit encryption, and there is a $200,000 prize for the person that cracks that at the RSA Challenge.

4. patch-man

patch-man

5. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Oops, Pecan Grove Plantation, Pretty Good Privacy, same difference, right :D

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114484

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice