1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Password reguired on laptop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mfcarpino, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mfcarpino

mfcarpino Guest Thread Starter

I had to complete reinstall the OS for my daughters laptop. I reconfigured the workgroup on her machine and she can see the shared files on my desktop just fine however when I click on the icon for her machine in the workgroup it asks me for a password for her machine icon. the user name shows her name\Guest and it's looking for a password. How can I resolve this as I didn't set any passwords up when I reinstalled the OS?

Thanks,

Mike

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Would help if we knew more than "OS" about the OS. XP? If so, Service Pack 2? and is it Home or Pro? If Pro, using Simple File Sharing?

Is this a new install; i.e., there hasn't been time for registry corruption?

3. mfcarpino

os is xp home with sp2. it was a new install

4. mfcarpino

Anyone have any ideas on how i can eliminate the password requirement?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Create an account on her machine with the same name/password as is used to logon to your machine. I'm guessing you have XP-Pro on your machine.

If you didn't password your account, I suggest you do so, since it affects networking and scheduled tasks. If you want to have the machine auto-login with the password, just do this.

Start, Run, control userpasswords2

This applet will allow you to have a password, but not have to type it to boot.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you try and connect to an XP computer and are shown a logins screen with only the computername/Guest, you may need to change one of the Local Security Policies:

1. Got to Control Panel - Administrative Tools
    2. Go to Local Policies - Security Options
    3. Check the Network access: Sharing and security model for local accounts
    4. Set it to Classic - local users authenticate as themselves

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536462

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice