1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Password required for access to Win2K computer in home network

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by CarolinaBill, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CarolinaBill

CarolinaBill Thread Starter

I have a home network that includes a Win98 desktop and a Win2K desktop. My problem is that while I can access the Win98 computer (which happens to be named "Bill") from the Win28 computer (which is named "Pat"), when I try to go in the opposite direction, I get a window asking for a password to access the \\Pat files. The window reads "You must supply a password to make this connection". Then below that, "Resource: \\Pat\IPC$". Then a window for the password. If I click "OK" with or without a password, I get a Microsoft Networking Error window, "The password is incorrect, try again". When I click "OK" in that window, Windows returns to the Enter Network Password window.

I cannot modify any settings for IPC$ on the Pat computer, nor can I delete it (as far as I can see it is a resource that I do not need for my particular needs). Nor have I been able to set any permissions that I can find that will allow access from the Win98 computer.

The mystifying part is that the Win2K computer happens to be a dual boot computer that has an original Win2K installation OS and a replacement Win2K OS. This was done using Partition Magic, and each virtual drive is hidden from the other. This came about when the original installation developed a lot of problems with viruses and spyware. I finally adopted a solution of re-installing Win2K on the computer, and during the time I was re-installing programs on the C: drive, I booted back and forth from one OS to the other. This old installation of Win2K DOES allow access by the Win98 computer without any question of a password. When I click on the icon for the Win98 computer in My Network Places, the icons for the shared folders on the Win2K computer come right up and can be accessed without any difficulty. I have searched and searched through the two OS settings to see what might be different but have not been able to find anything.

As an additional tidbit, a Win XP laptop is also connected to the home network. With the old OS Win2K, shared icons come right up without any question or request for password. With the new OS Win2K, a window opens asking for the name of the user before the connection is made, and I can enter the name of a user authorized by the Win2K computer. The connection is then completed without any problem and since I do not require a password for the Win2K user, I do not have to enter a password from the laptop. This Win XP window is in contrast to the window opened by Win98 which does not allow any identification of user and only asks for a password.

The network connection, MAC address, IP address, network adapter and its settings, are all identical for both setups so my problem obviously is a software one and has nothing to do with hardware connections. Both installations of Win2K were done from the same CD and both have been updated with the same service packs. So I am completely stumped.

Does anyone have an idea of what is happening?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It sounds like your trying to connect to the administrative share on the 2K machine. Try this.

Right click on the drive in question on the 2K machine and select Sharing... Add a new share and grant access rights to everyone.

Create an account on the 2K machine with the same name/password as is used to logon to the W98 machine. It's not necessary to logon to the 2K machine with this account, it just has to have permission to access the shared files.

This should eliminate the password prompt.

3. CarolinaBill

CarolinaBill Thread Starter

John, it works. Thank you. I still do not see why my "old" 2K OS allowed network access without adding the new user, but I am not one to sneeze at success. This solution works and I will be most happy to use it.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd have to look at all the configuration to unwind it, but this is the easy way out. :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430804

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice