Password required on boot problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Graham Judge

During boot of my computer using XPPro a panel that requires me to hit enter or click on the OK in the box is required before the boot will complete.
Can anyone help?

Ted

Graham Judge

Bob Cerelli said:
Is that a boot password through the computer's CMOS or a Windows Login password.
Bob, I am not computer knowledgeable enough to tell you if it is the CMOS password or the Windows login, but I think that it is th windows log in. The small panel flick on and off two times extremely fast and then remains on until i click the OK. thanks for your time.

Regards Ted

Graham Judge

Ity is the Windows Login password. Sorry to not getting back to yo0u sooner but we were on vacation

Ted

If you don't know your password, and can't log in as the "administrator", there is a boot disk you can download at:
http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

that will let you reset the password of any account on NT4, Windows2000 or XP.

Just follow all the default settings which are for the admin account. Used it many
times with great success.

They also have a bootable CD image you can download.

Graham Judge

Bob I never gave a password when I installed the system initiallyand I guess that is the reason for my having to click on the box every time to continue the boot. I hope this helps explain the problem.

Ted

Now I understand better. The password works but is just doesn't log you on automatically.

That's pretty easy to do:

Start / Run / "control userpasswords2" - no quotes
Uncheck User must enter a user name and password to use this computer

Graham Judge

I have tried entering the line word for word and number2 and hit enter and I receive a loud musical boom.

Sorry to keep bothering you.

Ted

Graham Judge

I have installed a Shuttle motherboard in a new computer and have not been able to activate the USB ports. I installed the software for the board including the USB software and no JOY. With a jump drive in USB1 it appears that power is applied to the drive during boot but after completion of boot the port is apparently not active.
:mad:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online