Password Share a Folder in XP for ME/98 access

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Art Hayner

How does one use "Shared-Level access control" in Windows XP Professional using a peer-to-peer workgroup network (no domain or dedicated server)?

In Windows For Workgroups, Windows95, 98, 98SE, and ME you could share your entire hard drive on a peer-to-peer network and assign two passwords to the device - one for "read only access" and one for "full access". From other workgroup computers on the network you wouldn't see anything at all without a password, you could see & copy files with the read-only password, and you could modify and delete files if you had the full access password. Works great for multiple computers in a home or small office. In XP it appears you have to give all other computers on the network either no access or the same type of access. I'd like my kids computer to not see my computer, my wife's computer to have read only access and if I'm at my kids computer I want to enter in a full-access password and have full-access to my computer. No problem in 98 & ME but impossible with XP? How does one set this up in XP Pro? My ME computers can access my XP computer with IPX/SPX protocol and NetBIOS enabled over it and my XP computer is able to use TCP and access the ME cable modem internet connection via ICS. BUT - again, how does one control the type of access with passwords or permissions? I have simplified sharing turned off and have converted to NTFS on the XP machine and I can see the Sharing and Security tabs in XP when I share a drive, but I can't see how to give individual password/permission controlled access to the other computers in my workgroup. Over 10 frustrating hours with Microsoft support has left me waiting for a tier-2 call back in the next 3 days. It looks to me like they've taken this great feature away and expect me to upgrade to a dedicated server and Windows 2000 Server on top of XP -- NOT.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

I think you are asking for more than what XP is designed to do. If XP can use NTFS it might be possible. What you are asking for is not share level access, I think you would get what you are looking for using user level access. They would still be able to see the shared resources, but if they have not been logged in under te proper account they cannot access the share. Since there is no centralized authentication you would have to set up users on every PC and assign what they can access on each PC....PAIN. Sounds like you are looking for server level types of security...GOOD LUCK

Art Hayner

Rockn,

Thanks for the speedy reply.

You say I may be asking for more than XP is designed to do and I have that sinking feeling you're right. BUT --

On an ME computer do the following:

Step1
Right click on My Network Places on the desktop, and click on Properties at the bottom of the pop-up window and then click on the Access Control tab. Select the 1st choice "Share-level access control" which is defined as "Enables you to supply a password for each shared resource.

Step2
Start the windows Explorer. Right click on your C-Drive and click on Sharing, and then on the Sharing tab select "Shared As" and give the drive a share name, for Access Type select "Depends on Password" and then enter your "Read Only" and "Full Access" passwords.

Bingo your done! You can now access that computer from another computer in the workgroup with either access type depending on the password you supply. You can give your kids or emplyoees the read-only password to your computer and still have full access to your computer form their computer when your sitting at it! What more could you want in a SOHO environment? Microsoft seems to have agreed it was of some value in that they provided it as a standard feature in all home versions of Windows for at least the past 7 years. I haven't yet found much of importance to me that XP can do that ME can't (hopefully greater stability will prove true over time) so it's especially painful to lose a feature that IS important to me.
Why is this simple well documented capability that many small workgroups use too much to ask from the almighty Windows XP Professional?

Thanks again for your support.
Art

Haven't used XP and don't know if I ever will due to their verification scheme that keeps me from installing on more than one PC in my own home without buying another license. I would assume that since it is built on the NT platform that you could actually set it up as a file server that authenticates accounts...could do it in NT Workstation. Also using NTFS you could set up differnt security to the file level. If I had an office with employees, I would definately have a REAL server....if you have a good workstation with lots o memory and hard drive space it is easy to do and you don't have to dole out tons of cash for a big enterprise type server. The only outlay would be the cost of the Server OS and maybe a good tape backup. Never rely on a desktop solution to do the job of a real (laughing) server OS.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online