Password when Downloading?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Sideshow_Bob

Does anyone know how i can make users have to enter a password before they are able to download or install programs on Windows XP Professional. A friend of mine once had to do this and i would now like to do it so I know that it is possible.

If your running as Administrator Bob then YOU can set it so no one can download and install anything.
Wolfey

Sideshow_Bob

thanks for responding to my question....could u provide some details on how to "set it" though......i am kinda new to windows xp so i dont know how to do certain things.

thanks

Very sorry for not replying earlier Bob
Ok go into Control Panel and double click User Accounts.
The screen that comes up will show all users on the machine plus a Guest Account.
There will be a Computer Administrator who controls everything, that should be you.
Look above to where it says Create new account.
Type a name then next.
Set the account to Limited and as you will see a limited account will not allow downloads.
Hope this helps
(y)
Wolfey

To make things even more secure set a password for yourself as administrator thereby ensuring no one can enter the system as a bogus administrator.
Wolfey

Sideshow_Bob

thanks again for your help, although i could not get a password dialogue box to appear. i went into a user account that was a limited acount type and tested the situation by downloading winamp. i was able to download the installation file and run it as normal without ever being asked for a password.

when you choose an account type for a user however, in the description it does say like u said that they will not be able to install programs....it also says might not be able to though. i was able to.

there has to be a way to do this. whenever my friend went to install a program or download a program he had to enter a password.

Sideshow_Bob

thanks for the program squashman it seems to be quite usefull. i will use it.

there is still the matter of just plain getting a passowrd when some1 goes to download something. if anyone knows how to do this (there is a way in windows) let me know. thanks

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
Sideshow_Bob said:
there is still the matter of just plain getting a passowrd when some1 goes to download something. if anyone knows how to do this (there is a way in windows) let me know. thanks
Probably need some third party program to do this. You can set a policy to not allow any downloads but it will affect everyone on the computer and it wont prompt for a password.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online