password

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

txhill

how do I password Windows XP at first boot......I don't want anyone to be able to access computer but just restarting and waiting for logon screen.

Well I really don't understand what you are trying to say but I will give it a stab.

You could also create a BIOS level password so when you hit the power button then a password pops.

Or what I think you want to do is make Windows XP request a password.

1. Go to the Start menu and choose Control Panel
(or Settings-Control Panel if the Classic Start Menu is used).
2. Double-click the User Accounts icon.
3. Pick an account and click Create or Change Password.
4. You may need to type the current password and then supply a new password twice.
5. Repeat this step for any other accounts on your computer.

Source: http://www.udel.edu/security/sectopicswinxp-desktopsec.html

You go to the control panel and select User Accounts. You can set a password there.

Control panel User Accounts and "add a password" or "change password" makes more sense than bios password which is really quite prone to issues.

txhill

that's what I was trying to remember-----a BIOS level password. Hit the F8 or delete button on startup to access it?

Hit whatever key gets you into the BIOS or Setup. DEL or F2 are common, most systems display the key press required on the screen when you first power up.

Note that if you set a BIOS password and forget it (or it just happens to get corrupted, rare but possible), on some systems the only way to get around that is to replace the BIOS EPROM chip, which nowadays are soldered to the motherboard. Removing the battery or reseting the CMOS with a jumper will not reset the BIOS on those systems.

The only advantage to a BIOS password vs a Windows password is it will prevent anyone from booting with a floppy/Flash drive or a CD to try to get around the Windows password.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online