1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Passwords

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Moff3, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Moff3

Moff3 Thread Starter

Hi and a Happy New Year to you all,
    I have a friend who initially decided to have a separate Password for all programs etc that required one.(n)
    Of course she has now found that it is a real pain in the proverbial!! She has also found that to change to a uniform Password is beyond her knowledge (and mine). Is there a method to do this for the unwashed and uninitiated??:confused: Cheers Moff3.

2. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

Hiya Moff.

Surely the whole idea of having passwords is that it makes it difficult to get into somewhere if the real owner doesn`t want it accessed so a little pain is worth the effort.

I would think she`ll have to go into each program and change it manually to a common one although I wouldn`t recommend that as it potentially leaves things a bit vunerable. Perhaps a more apt solution would be to create a strong password to access her profile rather than all the different programs and once in there, then everything would be open to her.

Jenny

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Having the same password is even more of a problem if it is discovered or compromized. Try using a password manager like Roboform or LastPass.

4. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

I know that writing passwords is frowned upon (!!) but you might like to look at http://www.passwordcard.org/en which allows you to print off a unique credit card size random combination of characters/letters to use as passwords.

I find it useful at work for three different systems that require new p/w every 30 days or so.

A PasswordCard is a credit card-sized card you keep in your wallet, which lets you pick very secure passwords for all your websites, without having to remember them! You just keep them with you, and even if your wallet does get stolen, the thief will still not know your actual passwords.

Your PasswordCard has a unique grid of random letters and digits on it. The rows have different colors, and the columns different symbols. All you do is remember a combination of a symbol and a color, and then read the letters and digits from there.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!