1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pasting text in Wordpad - What happened to rich text??

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by THX, Apr 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. THX

THX Thread Starter

Sorry if I picked the wrong spot. Nothing seemed to match my inquiry. I am having a problem with my wordpad retaining rich text when using the copy/paste feature. It was working until recently when I had to reinstall windows. I believe it may just be a feature I have not selected, but for the life of me I can't find the option, and I suppose it could always be something up to no good on my system causing this. What I am trying to do is copy and paste text directly to a text editor just as you see it, so that I can then paste that text into an ebay listing tool. I can't just paste it directly, it won't let me (thanks firefox) without causing lots of formatting issues. If anyone knows a simple way to do this (note I do NOT want to deal directly with coding and html, just the rich text that you see normally), please share! Thanks :)

2. slurpee55

slurpee55

May sound goofy, but are you sure you are bringing up WordPad and not NotePad? Both are installed with Windows, but NotePad has no rich text features.

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Are you saying that Edit-Paste Special does not give an option of RTF?

4. slurpee55

slurpee55

No, it does not, but Save As in WordPad is, by default, set to save as an RTF file. Also, if you open a new file in WordPad it is, again by default, an RTF file.
    At least if you are seeing Edit, Paste Special I know that you are in WordPad - just Paste exists in NotePad.

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Quite correct re notepad.

Notepad is a plain text only editor as just pointed out. But Wordpad (here) allows edit - paste-special as RTF or Unformatted Text.

6. THX

THX Thread Starter

Hi yes it is in wordpad that it does this. Any time I copy text from one source that has html rich text and paste it to wordpad, the format is automatically lost and reverts to plain old unformatted notepad like text. There is no option for anything else. Weird.

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

As above you cannot just "paste" the text, you have to use Edit - Paste Special, then choose Rich Text Format.

Is this what you are doing?

8. THX

THX Thread Starter

yes, there is paste special, but there is no rich text format option.

9. THX

THX Thread Starter

yes, there is paste special, but there is no rich text format option.

10. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Sounds odd indeed.

Was this a clean reinstall or install "over the top" of the existing version?
    Any other history (such as why the reinstall was done) as it may give some clues, but it sounds as though something is damaged.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/565751