pata and sata drive, sata should be master, but pata is

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

erabbit

So then after I installed windows xp pro, I plugged in my 40g PATA IDE drive, and it would always select that as my master hard drive, as we know, my "should be master" drive is a 160g SATA drive. Any suggestions on how to have my 40g drive as slave, and my 160g drive as my master? My computer specs are listed in my signature. Thanks.

Triple6

Rob
SATA drives don't have master or slave settings. Additionally Master and Slave settings do not bridge across multiple IDE conntrollers but only affect the channel they are connected to.

If the system wants to boot off the PATA drive instead of the SATA drive then your BIOS boot order is set incorrectly. Remove IDE from the boot order and add SATA/SCSI/RAID whichever option you are given.

erabbit

I will try that, any other ideas, I thought that I had the bios options set correctly.

Triple6

Rob
Well I don't really understanding whats happening. Is it in fact trying to boot off the wrong drive or is the problem something else.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online