Patch Tuesday Aug 2016

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

alicez

When will the critical updates be released for August 2016 for Win 7 and Vista?
I don't see any updates today (Tues 8/9/2016) when I looked.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I live in the eastern U.S.A. and usually have the "Patch Tuesday" updates appear in Windows Update by mid-late afternoon.

I have 3 Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit computers, so I'll be updating them later today or tomorrow.

I'm on my Windows 10 Pro 64-bit computer right now, so none of the others are currently turned on.

I haven't used Windows Vista since 2009, so I can't comment on it.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Alice:

I haven't turned on and updated my Windows 7 Pro 64-bit laptop in 2 months, so I did it earlier.
After "checking for updates" scanned for over an hour and didn't bring up any updates, I checked to see which version of the Windows Update Agent (wuaueng.dll) was installed.
It was version 7.6.7601.19161, so I needed to update it to version 7.6.7601.23453.

I downloaded and saved the KB3161608 update for Windows 7 64-bit.
I then turned off the internet connection and stopped the Background Intelligence Transfer Service and Windows Update services from running.
I then installed the update and then restarted the laptop.

After the laptop settled down from the restart, I did another "checking for updates".
The list of updates appeared almost immediately.
Excluding the several updates for July, 5 updates for August appeared and are installing now.

-------------------------------------------------------------

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Alice:

All 3 of my Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit computers have been updated.

How did you do today with your Windows 7 computer(s)?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
I got five updates for Win 7 Home Premium 32 bit (including the Malicious Software Removal Tool). None of them are rated higher than 'Important' by MS although the Sans.Org list considers some to be Critical; https://isc.sans.edu/mspatchdays.html?viewday=2016-08-09 Obviously I don't have Edge nor do I have MS Office software, PDF Library or Active Sync Provider, so that kept the number down.

I haven't been through the Sans. Org list in detail but it seems that some of the patches I got will probably apply to Vista as well.

I got three Security Updates for W7 (KB Nos. 3167679, 3177725 & 3170834) the usual IE 11 Cumulative update (KB 3175443) and the MSRT. I downloaded 3167679 separately because the information about what it was for didn't show up when I clicked on the relevant link. I was able to find the details later and for some reason this patch seems to have given my computer 'indigestion' because it took a very long time to restart after it was installed! All seems to be well now.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
TOGG:
These are the 4 updates that I installed in my Windows 7 64-bit computers - which are the same as yours.
I always hide the MSRT update because it's not really needed.

upload_2016-8-9_18-41-39.png

---------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online