1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pavilion with windows 98 wont recover

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by pluggie29, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pluggie29

pluggie29 Thread Starter

hello all. my problem may sound familiar to you as i have parts of some problems ive read on your forum. i am running windows 98 on H-P pavilion 6630. am unable to run a full defrag, locks up. am unable to run a full scan disk, shuts down with no error messages at all. i tried touse my recovery disk but it locks up after i prompt full recovery. i paid for and went to H-P tech support, who had me download bootdisk 98 alt 1. however they dont seem to know how to tell me to apply it and then run recovery. i have so many glitches, and all things run slow, and odd things show up on startup that i just want to start over from factory specs. can anyone help me? thanks

2. pinntech

pinntech

Hello,

I would check a few things on the hardware level before I would try and reload the operating system.

In your case, I would start with the hard disk drive (HDD) and make sure that it is not faulty. Find out the manufacturer of the HDD. You can do this a number of ways. The easiest would be to….

Right click “MY COMPUTER”
    PROPERTIES
    DEVICE MANAGER
    DISK DRIVES
    (expand this by clicking on the + sign)

Write down the model number and if you don’t know who makes it, just post it back here and either I will tell you or someone else will.

If you do know who makes your model, go to their website and see if they have some diagnostic tools for you to run. Most of them do have the tools for download.

Also, check to make sure that your power supply fan and your processor fan is turning.

Just because you are having these problems does not mean the drive is bad, but checking it will eliminate that possibility.

Post your findings here on the site!

Have a good one.

Shane

3. pluggie29

pluggie29 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply, Shane. I went into properties and this is what i found.
    I wasnt sure which i was looking for so i wrote them all down
    Disk drive. Generic IDE disk drive type .01
    Floppy drive. Generic NEC. both of these showed "operating normally"
    Hard disk controllers-
    master- Intel 82801b bus master controller
    primary- IDE (dual fifo) generic (hard disk driver)
    secondary- IDE (dual fifo) generic (hard disk driver)

primary and secondary were the only two places i saw the term "hard disk driver" . It also says that these devices are "operating normally"
    also both fans are working although my cabinet fan is making some noise as though i might need to replace it at some point, although it is still turning.
    One other point that i didnt state before, although the folks at H-P support (India) said it didnt matter, is that I have replaced the stock ROM CD drive with an Iomega zip cd burner. hope this gives you more clues. thanks, Dave

4. pluggie29

pluggie29 Thread Starter

in the last 20 or so hours, scandisk has been running, without shutting down the computer, altho it has restarted a zillion times, its almost through all million or so disk surface clusters, so maybe im getting somewhere. hopeful i can run defrag after that and maybe the recover disk will boot. i have also had it suggested altho not proved that i may have the wrong recover disk for this model. sound familiar to anyone? all input and response is greatly appreciated. thanks dave

5. pluggie29

pluggie29 Thread Starter

this computer is just like Robert Frost's woods. The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep. And miles to go, before I sleep..............

6. pinntech

pinntech

Sorry about the bad information on finding out who your HDD manufacturer is. I have searched a little and just can't find anything that will ID the drive in windows 98.

You could look in your BIOS to see it will ID the drive by it's model number. Sometimes during the POST, depending on your motherboard or PC manufacturer, it will ID the drives by make and model. Check those out.

If not, take the cover off of it and look at the drive. See who makes it. I still think you should do a diag on it with the manufacturer's software.

Once again, sorry about the bad information on IDing the drive in 98.

Shane

7. pluggie29

pluggie29 Thread Starter

thanks for your reply. as i mentioned, i finally got a full scandisk to run, but still no luck on defrag. still locks up. i will go ahead and try to find that info, but it may be moot, except to keep this unit running for the kids to play games on, in that i may be getting another computer, with pentium 3 and windows 2000. will keep you posted, and if so, will just mark this thread solved. thanks again, Dave

8. chalky

chalky

9. pluggie29

pluggie29 Thread Starter

hello Chalky, and all others pondering this problem. I guess we can mark this problem solved,altho theres a story. when last we visited, I couldnt defrag, bootdisk, recover, or keep the silly thing from just shutting down at odd, random moments. since then, a full scandisk, at just over twenty hours was finally performed, and then a full defrag finally ran. still couldnt run recover, but finally got ahold of a knowledgeable tech at H-P, India. finally ran a sucessful boot disk, wiped the hard drive clean, restarted the recovery disk, and froze up numerous times about half way through, proving that the hard drive is most likely fried. so long story short. Im now back with you all on a dell tower with windows 2K pro. until I fix the H-P and or replace my set up with something from this millenium. so to conclude, THANKS TO ALL OF YOU for giving thought to my problem, and I hope that all others are succesfully solved.
    THANKS AGAIN, DAVE.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331414

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice