1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pavillion dv6 freeze on startup, BSOD,

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dan9292, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dan9292

dan9292 Thread Starter

I own a HP Pavillion dv6t. Last month i started having some issues with it, i will try and explain everything here (long post ahead...)

It first started when I powered on the laptop the diplay would lag a lot, like it would do stuff, but really slowly. Not as if the computer was running slow tho, just the display or the screen. This stopped after a few restarts.
    Then again, a few weeks later, when i turned on the laptop, the display would just shut down itself. The computer was on and working, but the screen was black. I left the laptop off for a day and the next day it was working just fine.

I then installed a leshcat driver which worked perfectly fine. This didnt really cause anything, mentioning this just in case. Anyway, last week i started having more issues with the laptop, i would turn it on, start using it and then suddenly it would freeze. It happened occasionally, then it became more frequent. I had to press the turn off button in the laptop to shut it down and turn it on again for it to work. Then i started getting this BSOD screens when leaving the laptop idle for a while. I could use it for hours playing games with multiple windows open and whatever, but if i left the room for 1 hour, even if it didnt have any programs open, i came back and it was with a BSOD.

I´ve gotten a lot of BSOD since then, i didnt really save the logs, but ive gotten c00021a fatal errors, 0xF4, 0x7E, 0x7A, etc. (looking at my browser history). I should probably also mention that the power cable is a bit loose in my laptop, so i would sometimes move and the laptops would get disconnected and shut down.

I could still use the laptop then tho. Then i got this Tune Up Error with something called proset/wireless wimax and i was told to go to driver manager and unistall it but i never saw it on the list and the web wasnt too helpful.

Now though, i cant start the laptop, i turn it on, i log in and it freezes. it freezes and does nothing. I can start it in safe mode, thankfully, and ive gotten more BSODs but theres nothing in the /minidump folder. I tried the event views and there are a few errors but i have no idea how to read everything.

I have tried disabling all the laptops services, uninstalling programs i recently installed, i completely removed the leshcat drivers (but cant install the amd7intel ones now). I could start the laptop in regular mode yesterday for a while but it then stops working. Now it just wont start.
    I also got malwarebytes and spybot. Spybot detected a few threats and fixed them, and malwarebytes detects 8 but the programs crashes before I can fix anything. Could that have something to do with anything?

Well, this are all the events ive had with this laptop in the last few months. Sorry for the long *** post.I cant restore to a previous working state and i didnt really want to fully restore the laptop, i have over 500gb in onformation and i dont own an external harddrive to backup everything. I guess that if theres no other solution i will have to do that.

If theres any information i need to provide to help please just let me know.
    Thanks a lot for the help.

this is the last bsod i got:

Code:
    tech information:
    STOP: 0x0000007E (0xFFFFFFFFFC0000006. 0xFFFFF88000C110E9, 0xFFFFF8804 5E2638,
    0xFFFFF8804)

CI.dll - Adress FFFFF88000C110E9 base at FFFFF88000C00000

Physical memory dump FAILED with status 0xC000009C
    pc specs:
    Code:
    OS version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6
    Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor count: 8
    Ram: 6091 MB
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel (R) HD Graphics, 6 Mb
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 1657
    Antivirus: ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5.2

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

Welcome, dan9292, to Tech Guy Forum.

Please provide the 3 most recent files from c:\windows\minidump.
    Copy them to a folder.
    Zip the folder; .zip ; please not .rar or other NON ZIP compressed formats.
    1 of us will analyze them.

Which dv6000?

Which W7 64 bit? Which service pack?

RF123

3. rainforest123

rainforest123

I had a problem, recently, with an nVidia driver. The most recent driver update didn't help, so I went back / down a level in driver chronology. NOW, no problems.

Here are my steps.
    Download driver

Download & install driver sweeper from guru3d
    In "programs & features", uninstall the driver

boot to safe mode.

Run driver sweepr

STILL in safe mode, run driver sweeper

STILL in safe mode, install the alternate driver

Boot to normal mode.

Test

RF123

4. dan9292

dan9292 Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for the reply.
    I mentioned in the first post that the minidump folder is empty, unfortunately.
    The laptops specs are also in the last bit of the post, dv6t-6000 (XW898AV), Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit.

About the graphics drivers, this uses a radeon 6770m. like i said i had the modded leshcat drivers but unistalled them, but cant seem to install the original dirvers now. i get a "you dont meet the requirements" message. still, i dont think this has anything to do with the not being able to startup the laptop...

5. rainforest123

rainforest123

Who modified them?
    Please provide a download URL.

A screen shot, perhaps.
    At what point of which maneuver did that msg appear.

I apologize for not seeing the minidump info.

RIGHT click "computer"
    Left click "properties"
    Upper left, left click "advanced system settings"
    "advanced" tab
    "startup & recovery area", left click "settings

set it to mini dump
    disable auto restart
    disable overwrite
    ok

reboot

test

RF123

6. rainforest123

rainforest123

Perhaps a driver from HP or ATI or the graphics card manufacturer would help.
    ;)

RF123

7. dan9292

dan9292 Thread Starter

Its a really long post i dont blame you for missing it lol

alright I did as you said and got the logs.
    also took a screenshot of the error when installing the graphic drivers. Like i said before tho, leshcat drivers where working just fine for like a month. The freezing also happened before I installed leshcat drivers too.
    This is the link for the drivers, they are modified versions of the amd/intel ones.

attaching the logs and screenshot.

Thanks again.

EDIT: i should probablt mention that i got the original drivers (the ones im failing to install) from the official HP drivers website. http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-drivers.html
    so theres no incompatibility issue.

Attached Files:

8. rainforest123

rainforest123

Thanks for the screen shot.

At which point of driver installation?

Did you right click the driver install file; then left click "run as administrator"

Please provide detailed steps.

The more information that you provide for us, the more quickly will we be able to fix your problem.

1 of us will analyze the mini dumps.

Did you have problems with the HP drivers?

When did your computer last work well? Sometimes the exact date is important.

What changed? Installation or removal of a program or hardware; W7 update; driver update? Update to a program?

RF123

9. rainforest123

rainforest123

10. dan9292

dan9292 Thread Starter

I downloaded the Intel and AMD drivers from HP's website
    Used "driver fusion" to unistall the modded drivers. booted.
    In "device manager" i uninstalled the display drivers. booted.
    I open the intel/amd drivers setup (as admin), follow instructions to install (packages are extracted) and when i get to the actual installing process i get the error. For AMD driver I get the error in the step "Detecting graphics hardware", which is the second step, the first being "detecting system" (This is what i get in the installing window).

I´ve never had issues with the HP drivers. AMD driver crashed when playing BF3, but that is a known issue for this graphics card (Radeon 6770m)

november probably, i started getting the BSOD in december

This all started happening over a long period of time, so it would be hard to tell. hm.. it never happened after a windows update, i made sure everything was working correctly. Driver update, like i said this happened before AND after i changed the graphic drivers to leshcat. no other driver updates, so not really. Programs, i installed one a week before this all got worse, but i already tried uninstalling it.

The first freezing events happened when the power cable accidentally got disconnected and the laptop didn't have the battery on, so it was like a force shut down. this actually used to happen a lot (the disconnecting the power cable) but nothing really happened until last month.

yes

11. rainforest123

rainforest123

I had an nVidia 8600 GTX card and had different problems upgrading the drivers in W7. I performed the steps as you describe. I didn't receive the error msg you note. But the driver would not install; stayed in VGA mode.

I contacted XFX, graphics card manufacturer. An XFX tech provided me with the uninstall instructions [ uninstall from Programs & Features; run driver sweeper in safe mode, etc ]

RF123

12. rainforest123

rainforest123

Win Debugger analyzis
    1st mini dump implicates your video driver.
    igdpmd64.sys

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3b)

BugCheck 3B

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x3B0x3B

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff558949(v=vs.85).aspx

Somehow, you need to different graphics card drivers.

I've offered the complete fund of my personal KB.

RF123

13. dan9292

dan9292 Thread Starter

The "two different drivers" are probably the Intel and the AMD drivers, this laptop has switchable graphics.

Alright, I managed to get the laptop to start and it doesnt freeze now, but the screen is grey (i can see the mouse moving and I cant clic Cntrl+Alt+Del to turn the laptop off, but it sometimes crashes) I guess this has to do with the minidumps info.
    So the first thing I should try and do is install the actual drivers for this laptop, right? But since I cant do that in normal mode, because of the grey screen, and I cant do that in safe mode because the drivers are disabled (I think that is why I get the errors), what am I supposed to do?

UPDATE: I started the laptop again, got the grey screen, clicked ctrl+alt+del and then clicked "start task manager" and the display showed up, i could see the desktop and the task manager but it crashed before I could do anything.

Ok I completely give up, I want to restore to factory settings but I cant do that in safe mode either. What now?

14. rainforest123

rainforest123

Dear Dan9292:
    I don't find a post by me stating

This sentence,
    posted by me :eek: is grammatically incorrect.

I should have written: Somehow, you need to install a different graphics card driver.
    Also, I'm not a very good speller, sometimes. Again, :eek:

RF123

15. dan9292

dan9292 Thread Starter

ah alright, but then again, i cant install another driver in safe mode... so how do i fix this if i cant startup on regular mode. Maybe unistalling my graphic drivers when I was having issues with my laptop wasnt the smartest idea.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086697

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice