1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Payload size of IP packet?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DonChoudhry, Dec 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DonChoudhry

DonChoudhry Thread Starter

Hi,

What is the size of the header and what is the size of the payload in an IP packet?

In reference to my query I am quoting a few lines from an article “Measuring network throughput” on Wikipedia.

“People are often concerned about measuring the maximum data throughput rate of a communications link or network access. A typical method of performing a measurement is to transfer a 'large' file and measure the time taken to do so. The throughput is then calculated by dividing the file size by the time to get the throughput in megabits, kilobits, or bits per second.

Unfortunately, the results of such an exercise will result in the goodput which is less than the maximum throughput, leading to people believing that their communications link is not operating correctly. In fact, there are many overheads in transmission that mean the calculated goodput does not reflect the maximum throughput.” [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measuring_network_throughput]

Thanks in advance

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

3. DonChoudhry

Thanks allot for a very comprehensive answer.

In a senario where a fast ethernet is providing an IP bandwidth from a switch to an ATM network, what would it be called? Would ethernet be encapsulating PPP or PPPoE or something else? How much be the size of the header and the size of the payload then?

Thanks allot for your concern

4. JohnWill

I honestly can't say, don't know enough about ATM to give an answer. I suspect there will be additional overhead for the ATM packet, but I have no idea how much.

5. O111111O

O111111O

6. DonChoudhry

ATM is not of any concern here. I just want to ask what is the header and the payload size of the IP packets that gets dropped on ATM Network. The transportation of IP packets are done by fast ethernet. Please refer to the attached diagramI just made for you guys to understand what I am saying.

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

7. JohnWill

Well, the header size of IP packets is well known, and the references I provided should tell you what you want to know. Of course, you'll need to know what the MTU size is on that network, 1500 is the maximum, but it could be smaller.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/525604