PC also restarting constantly, but in a different way.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Re_Gret

Banned
So, I've got this PC right -
3GB DDR2 800 RAM,
E6550 CPU
1TB + 160GB HDs
8600GTS graphics
and a cd drive
all in a Gigabyte G31 mobo.

Now this thing keeps restarting. When I say restarting, it's as if the power just dies then comes back on. It happens with no warning at random intervals. I also can't figure out whether it's my house's power or my PC itself. Nothing else is dying then coming back on though. Help me please?

For some reason, my primal instinct tells me static.

Re_Gret

Banned
GPU: 42
TEMP1: -55
TEMP2: -2
TEMP3: 25
HD0: 28
HD1: 27
CORE0: 30
CORE1: 30

Strange, though:
-12V: -16.97
is that normal?

the 12v thing often varies quite a lot but I have never seen one as low as that. Also could you post all of the other voltages please.

Re_Gret

Banned
VCORE1:0.99V
VCORE2:1.95V
+3.3:3.38V
+5:5.16V
+12:1.41V
-12:-16.97V
-5:-5.01V
+5:5.21V
VBAT:3.17V
600W psu

Re_Gret

Banned
Check out the +/-12V readings.
They don't quite look right.

on the +12v did you miss out one of the numbers or is that definatly what it is reading.

Hmmmm well that seems to be very low that should be reading around 11.90-12.60 or something along those lines. It seems as though the power supply is failing. What brand PSU is it?

Re_Gret

Banned
Im not quite sure what brand it is, think it's foxstar or something. The box is at my parents' house, and they'd be sleeping by now.
It's quite an alright psu though, it didn't come with the case, has a complete sleeving kit and a nice big fan. No piece of crap.
I've had it for about 3 years now though.

Yeah It sounds like the PSU is failing. It is probably best to replace it with something around 500-600w with a good brand like OCZ or coolermaster. They are more expensive but a much better quality.

Re_Gret

Banned
Um i just checked in my bios, it reads my +12 as 12.3690v.
So i think i see what happened there.

Re_Gret

Banned
Just want to say, when i was checking my ram, it picked up a bit of static charge. I rubbed it on some paper and it worked again. That was about 4 hours ago and my pc hasnt restarted since. I really do think it could be static. I usually keep my pc case open and i have this massive fan on the side that's full of dust by now. So... I don't know anymore.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online