Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

PC and WiFi extender

608 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  metallica5456 
#1 ·
Is a WiFi extender a suitable thing to use for plugging in my PC? I have a work computer that must be connected to the router but the router is currently upstairs while I am in the basement. I see a lot of WiFi extenders come with a possible Ethernet port and I am wondering if this will work vs buying a second router. The work computer is currently using Windows.

#2 ·
You might do better with a Powerline Networking adapter.
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-powerline-networking-kit/

I have my modem and router upstairs and have 1 port on the router connected to a powerline network adapter.
The other powerline network adapter is in the basement and computers down there have been using this setup since around 2011 with no problem.

Two things:
1. You need an electrical outlet near the router to plug the adapter into and run ethernet cable from it to the router.
2. You need an outlet near the basement computer(s) to plug in the 2nd adapter and run ethernet cable from it to the back of the computer.
Both outlets must be on the same circuit. Open your main electric panel to be sure that both outlets, upstairs and downstairs are on the same side of your electric box.

#3 ·
Thank you for the reply!
Unfortunately I am trying to find an alternative plan to connecting to the original router because it is in my landlords suite while I am renting the basement. There is no way currently to connect with a cord since it would be a very long distance. Do you think because of this that an extender would be okay?

You might do better with a Powerline Networking adapter.
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-powerline-networking-kit/

I have my modem and router upstairs and have 1 port on the router connected to a powerline network adapter.
The other powerline network adapter is in the basement and computers down there have been using this setup since around 2011 with no problem.

Two things:
1. You need an electrical outlet near the router to plug the adapter into and run ethernet cable from it to the router.
2. You need an outlet near the basement computer(s) to plug in the 2nd adapter and run ethernet cable from it to the back of the computer.
Both outlets must be on the same circuit. Open your main electric panel to be sure that both outlets, upstairs and downstairs are on the same side of your electric box.

#4 ·
EHitch, what Liz was saying above is that a powerline adapter would be a devide that connects the computer to the router using the electrical lines in the home.

One device goes next to the router and plugs into the electric outlet and the other goes next to the pc downstairs and connects to the pc.

Doing what you are suggesting with a wifi extender and connecting via ethernet is pointless because youd still be relying on a wireless network at that point.

Reactions: mctrader07
#5 ·
We are sharing the internet as included in the rent price so relying on the network is not really a concern. I am just wondering if my only option was a WiFi extender if that's even worth doing. Also if I was to get what was suggested above, is installation difficult?

#6 ·
Ah Ok I see now. Like I said above a powerline adapter is 2 pieces generally and one connects directly to the electric outlet behi nd your pc and then a patch cord can be ran from the adapter to your pc. Then in the other apartemnt/room where the router is you plug the other adapter into an electric outlet and connect a patch cord to one of the available outlets in the back of the router.

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/powerline/
Above is a list of some common ones from netgear. I would say average price can be around $50 to $100 USD

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.