1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Backup Drive or Unit

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KathyM, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KathyM

KathyM Thread Starter

I would like to purchase a backup unit for both of my computers running windows XP. One is an HP Pavilion and the other a Dell lap top. What product(s) would you recommend?

2. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

If you have the $$$ go with a USB Hard Drive.

If not, use your CD Burner and backup your important files (each CD store's 700MB that's what I do)

If you know how to hook up an IDE and 4 pin molex connector you could just purchase a internal hard drive, hook it up and transfer your files over as needed. I the information is really important, don't leave the power or IDE connected, because hard drives do fail.

If you really want to, you could back up to DVD and buy a DVD burner. The drive's cost around $100 now (for a great one $200). The disks hold a TON of information (it depends on CD-R and CD+R, +R's Ive found hold more {I found out buring a movie}). You could backup a 20GB hard drive, that is full, on about 2 to 4 disks depending on what you buy and what you compress.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The USB hard disk can actually be very cheap. I've seen deals on 200gig hard disks $99 after rebate, and Newegg has USB 2.0 hard disk cases for $30.

4. KathyM

KathyM Thread Starter

Thanks for your help. The USB hard disk sounds like the way to go.

5. KathyM

KathyM Thread Starter

FYI - thanks again for your help on the backup question. I talked to Maxtor after reviewing several products and ended up purchasing the A01B120 120GB external hard drive with Dantz backup software for $161 (free shipping). According to Maxtor, both PCs can be backed up to the same unit. I'll have to do some fiddling but the Maxtor on-line tech said they will walk me through the necessary modifications.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224062

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice