pc "beeping" but not working????

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MzDonna

I just put a new harddrive in a pc I was given.. the harddrive has windows xp home edition..whenever I turn on the pc all I get is a long beep.. but nothing else :( I am totally at a loss ..:(

On some BIOS a long beep is a RAM problem. It might also be a loose connection since you just installed a HHD, make sure that you didn't accidentally knock a card loose.

Try this to see if it helps:

Open your case and ground yourself (touch your case) remove all your cards, then disconnect all your drives (CD & Hard Drive). Next, push down on all your (non-soldered) chips on your motherboard, like the BIOS. Now, remove and reseat your RAM, then reaseat your power supply. If your system has a seperate video card, go ahead and put that back in now. Leave everything else disconnected. Now hookup your monitor, mouse and keyboard. Go ahead and see if your system boots without the beep errors. If it does add another card if you have any and reboot. Next, add your CD Drive and reboot. If it works then add your hard drive and see if it'll reboot into Windows now...

If none of these works, what type of BIOS do you have? and the exact error code, like 1 long beep and then 2 short beeps?

Also, once you get the hard drive to bootup, since it has Windows XP, you might not be able to get it to boot since (I'm assuming) that the other computer was a different brand, so the chipset, video, sound and any other drivers will be different from your current board and it won't bootup properly. Unless your saving data on the drive, it might be better to reformat and reinstall your OS on that drive..

Hope this helps!

MzDonna

I did all the steps you suggested and it actually stopping the longgggg beep . now it starts to boot then I get the "blue screen of death" which says ... a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. check for viruses on your computer (( newly formatted hd so I know there arent any)) Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers/ check your harddrive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated (( when I reformatted and reinstalled windows I was on my other pc which was a Dell which this is not )) runchkdsk/f to check your hard drive for corruption and then restart your computer ...

Yes, it won't boot with the different chipset in WIndows XP..you'll need to re-install XP again...

Hope this helps!

MzDonna

yes that did help and I was able to install windows xp and get it up and running . now it is asking me to install the ethernet controller .. (( when I am in device manager both "other devices and ethernet controller both have a large yellow question mark)) please understand this pc was given to me and I had only planned on adding a new harddrive.. **they did not give me any CD's etc .** I am not even able to connect to my local network ((( we have 3 pc's total at home))
it is also saying something about a PCI device ..........

That's ok you'll still be able to get that computer working great...just used one of your other systems to go to the manufactures web site for either the computer (DELL, HP) or if you don't know what computer manufacture created that computer, pop the case and take a look at the ethernet card for the manufacture and go to thier site and download the drivers...practically any driver can be downloaded from the Internet now-a-days as long as you know who made it...

Knowing the computer manufacture makes it easier to get the drivers from all one place, but many a times I have had to go to different web sites to get the drivers for the other components (sound, video, ethernet, etc)...

Hope this helps!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.