PC beeps and won't start up

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kathyff

Hello,

My PC beeps 6 times when I try to turn it on, no error messages come up on the screen, the moniter and computer just go striaght on to stand by and the beeping continues. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Thank you.

check your RAM, if it were placed properly, or

try removing the RAM, clean it(the heads) with eraser.
put it back properly on the slots.

other possible cause of the beeping, is the RAM(if two), are not of the same specs.
or the CMOS battery is faulty and needs to be replaced.

The beep code may well give us a clue but we need to know the make and model number of the PC to be able to look it up.

foxidrive

Banned
The beep code is specific to the BIOS manufacturer.

There can be short and long beeps - google for your BIOS manufacture and beepcode

ami beepcode
award beepcode
phoenix beepcode
dell beepcode
etc

Kathyff

I have a Dell XPS 8000. I looked up the beep code and it seems to say 6 beeps = Possible Problem to Video card or chip failure".

foxidrive

Banned
If you are ok with opening your PC then unplug all power at the wall, open the case and the card that has the video monitor cable on it, make sure it is firmly seated in the slot. Close the case, power up and try it again.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts