1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Blue Screens and Reboots

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by compukid7, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. compukid7

compukid7 Thread Starter

Hello!
    First of all, this is a PC that's been lying around my house for a while.

I put in a SATA Hard Drive, and it turns on fine. It will get all the way to the Windows Loading Bar (Vista) It then Blue Screens really fast and loops round again and again. Its definitely not the hard drive because I've tried other SATA hard drives.
    I can get into it with Hirens Boot (Mini XP) but I have not a clue what to do from there.
    I've tried different RAM in it also.

What can I do? I think its something to do with the motherboard.
    Thanks in Advance
    -Dan

2. compukid7

compukid7 Thread Starter

The PC will also sometimes go to a black screen and stay stuck. Help?

3. compukid7

compukid7 Thread Starter

Bump! Anybody have any ideas!?

4. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

Are you trying to run a drive with an operating system already installed from another computer? If so that won't work unless the motherboards are an exact match or at the very least the same chipset. You can try and do a repair install, but the best way is a fresh install.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, what exactly did you do;
    1 Clean install windows on this drive
    2 Drive had an existing install and you put it in a different system
    3 Installed a new sata drive as a secondary [non system] drive

Next post ALL of your exact system specs; if this the system in your sig, then so state. This way we know what we are working on.
    What?

6. compukid7

compukid7 Thread Starter

Im using the hard drive from my current PC.
    So your saying I need a fresh install?
    Also, I cant get hold of the specs if I cant get onto the PC. Should I be looking for anything on the motherboard?

7. compukid7

compukid7 Thread Starter

So I put a diffrent SATA hardrive in (from the same chipset) and it still happens. The only diffrence is the BSOD stays on until I manually power off. It had this on it:
    0x0000007B (0xB84E3524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
    ^Does that mean anything to anybody?

8. compukid7

compukid7 Thread Starter

I've just spoken with my Dad and he has previously tried to install a fresh copy of Windows. A blue screen error still occurred...

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, first of all you cannot move a drive with a windows install to another computer and expect it to boot. Not going to happen unless you follow a procedure outlined at the top of the hw forum.

Open the case and look; nothing beats the Mark 1 eyeball.

Since this has given bsod before, I would test the hardware before attempting to do anything else.

Test the ram with memtest. Test the hard drive with the drive maker's diagnostic. Both of these run from bootable media ie CD or flash drive; no need for an os to even be installed.

In addition to the above, check your temps and voltages in the bios. Post those here for review.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090789

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice