1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Booster

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by RD001, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RD001

RD001 Thread Starter

I have Gateway with ME and 1.3Ghz. I just upgraded mem from 128 to 640, but still slow when using tax and business related programs. Is there a program on market that you can recommend to "boost" PC performence. I see PC Booster, but wonder if it is legit. Thanks all. RD

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

3. RD001

RD001 Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your quick and honest advice.

4. Red Boy

Red Boy

RD001, I have no experience with PC Boosters, but have seen others comment on same and they support the remarks of Elvandil. However, there is one observation that I would like to make relative to your upgrading to 640 mbs of ram on your ME operating system. ME and windows 98 were designed to accommodate a maximum of 512 ram. This is confirmed by below listed site. You may want to consider removing the stick of 128 mbs of ram and see if this does not improve your computer's performance.

http://support.gateway.com/s/SOFTWARE/MICROSOF/sHARED/win98meram.shtml

Good luck,

Red Boy

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

This is definitely true. You may start experiencing strange problems with settings being forgotten, etc. There is a workaround that will allow 98/ME to use greater amounts of memory by adjusting cache values, but it really is not worth it. This "family" was infamous for poor memory management and will not effectively use over 512 anyway. Remove a stick as suggested and see if things don't work somewhat better.

6. RD001

RD001 Thread Starter

Thanks once again. I sure do appreciate your expert advice.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328412

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice