1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pc boot problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nsane1, May 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nsane1

Nsane1 Thread Starter

system I7 4790 Asus Z97-A MB OS= win 8 hard drive is SS 256 g

the problem I pluged an external 2.o usb hard drive into my 3.0 usb slot pc froze now will not boot to

monitor red light stays on on the MB cpu light is red when the pc tries to start up it shuts down for 2 seconds then

tries to start nothing happens I cleared Cmoss held the start button for 30 plus seconds still same results the system is 6

months old

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, it would help if you posted all of your exact system specs; exact ram, exact pw supply, exact video card, etc. Note do not post “500W” pw supply; post the exact make and model# Do that for all of your parts.

Next do some basic troubleshooting. With the system OFF, open the case and do the following;
    1 Pull the pw connectors from all drives; both hd and optical.
    2 Pull out any add-in cards ie sound, nic, etc. Leave the video card installed however do reseat the card. Be sure it is fully seated in the slot.
    3 Disconnect any usb device ie printer, scanner, etc. Leave the keyboard connected
    4 Clear cmos or in asus speak RTC. Replace the jumper to the normal position
    5 Now pw On and see if the board will POST ie you see post data or the splash screen. If the board completes POST. Shutdown and start connecting devices one at a time until you find the failed part. If the board does not post in the above config, then you are going to have to swap parts with known good units ie pw supply, mb, ram, etc.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148647

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice