PC boot record gone

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SFSdls

Something, possibly malware, clobbered my boot drive. This is an HP laptop, I7, 8GB ram, 1TB hard drive (C: & D:recovery drive config), Windows 10 (current build). I have run every diagnostic and repair options built into HP and/or Windows 10 and all HW passes all tests. I have been able to boot via a USB recovery drive. Through command prompt utilities, it appears that everything on the drive is intact. It just won't boot. I have a recent backup, so I can - if necessary - reinstall Windows and then restore. I would much prefer to rebuild / fix the boot record. In my younger "DOS" days, I could do this easily, but technology has improved dramatically. There must be an easier way. Can someone give me a step by step guide to rebuilding the master boot record, please?

Here you go: https://neosmart.net/wiki/fix-mbr/#Fix_the_MBR_in_Windows_10 . Found that via Google, typed in "rebuild boot record".

As for the possible malware, it would be wise to do several scans with different brands of antivirus, as each brand has their own malware signatures. Go Google for "online scan" and you will see the usual big names. These are one time use antivirus scanners.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online