1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved PC boots to black screen, says “no signal found”

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tr4ne, Dec 1, 2019 at 11:26 AM.

Advertisement
  1. Tr4ne

Tr4ne Thread Starter

Hello, I’m new here but was hoping to get some support on a problem I just started having with my PC.

So my computer has been working just fine until this morning I turned it on and was met with a black screen on my monitor. Tells me there is no signal.

A few PC specs:
    CPU: i7 4790k
    MB: ASUS Maximus VII Hero—
    RAM: 2x 16gb Corsair Vengeance—
    GPUS: 2x MSI Nvidia GTX 970 SLI—
    PSU: EVGA Supernova 750W G2–

PC starts up, all fans and lights start up, no beeping, no error # codes on the MB (it has a small display)

So far this is what I’ve tried to fix the problem:

-Different monitor
    -Different HDMI cord
    -Checked/cleaned/reseated both RAM sticks
    -Tried each RAM stick individually
    -Tried completely different RAM sticks from a working PC
    -Removed/Reseated GPU.
    -Removed 2nd GPU/Tried each on their own
    -Removed both GPU and ran HDMI directly to motherboard
    -Cleared/Reset CMOS
    -Replaced CMOS battery
    Edit:
    -Removed and reseated CPU

So far none of these have changed anything at all. Could my PSU be failing? How can I diagnose it to be sure?

ANY help is appreciated!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019 at 7:25 PM
  2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Which CPU please
    Besides the actual two digit code LEDS there are separate leds for ram, boot device VGA and CPU
    are any of those lit.
    The board has a clear CMOSW button
    Try that

If still no luck, it maybe the board rather than the PSU
    Has the system been overclocked

3. Tr4ne

Tr4ne Thread Starter

CPU is: i7 4790k.

The MB doesn’t seem to flag a code, it says at “00” the entire time.

edit: Where are these other LEDs located? There are naturally different things illuminated red on the MB, but those have always been lit, it’s supposed to be that way to be more “visually appealing.”

I tried using the CMOS reset button, as well as removing the battery for 10-20 minutes. I also replaced the battery completely.

The GPUs are overclocked but they come that way from the manufacturer, I don’t know much about OCing so I avoid it

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019 at 3:17 PM
  4. Macboatmaster

I realise you say it does not flag a code on the two digit leds but what I asked is if any of the four leds I described are lit

5. Tr4ne

Tr4ne Thread Starter

Sorry I made an edit asking where these other LEDs are located on the MB.

After looking in the manual, I found the location for the LED lights.

The CPU light is solid red when I turn the PC on.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019 at 3:24 PM
  6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Those were pretty high end parts when new however they are now over 5yr old.
    The easiest test is to swap in a known good pw supply for testing. If you do not have access to a test pw supply, pull both video cards out and connect the monitor to the onboard/onchip port on the motherboard. See if it works now. Those are very pw hungry cards and if it works without them installed, that would point at a failing pw supply. The supernova line from evga is very good; in fact those are mfg by seasonic however everything gets old and wears out.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Ops, I just saw you already tried without the video cards. I would still try a test pw supply and if that does not work, the next part I would suspect would be the motherboard. CPUs are actually pretty hard to hurt unless you overclock/overvolt them or physically damage the processor when installing.

8. Tr4ne

Tr4ne Thread Starter

After further inspection, the CPU_led light is lit solid red when I turn on the PC. Could that still be a MB malfunction or am I looking at buying a new CPU? I don’t ever remember overclocking it but I’ve had this rig for about 4 years and it’s been running just fine up until this morning. I didn’t use it yesterday, but today it was doing this.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No one can give you a definitive answer; I would suspect parts in this order;
    1 Pw supply
    2 Motherboard
    3 CPU last
    You have already done the basic troubleshooting so I would start with the pw supply.

Just my opinion however repairing hardware of this age is often not cost effective since new parts are generally no longer available OR if they are available they are very expensive. After investing a lot of money, you can end up with a 5yr old system.

10. Tr4ne

Tr4ne Thread Starter

You think it may still be the MB even though the CPU error light was on? I’ll go ahead and try a new PSU first.

Fortunately, I tried to “futureproof” my pc when I built it, even on my budget. That i7 4790k holds up strong even for many new games (Although I don’t game much anymore.)

Is there an actual was to tell if it the MB itself having the issue, without actually replacing it?

thanks for all the input so far sir

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It can be tested in an electronics lab however that is going to cost more than a replacement board. In short, no the quickest way is to either swap parts with known good units OR to test your parts in a test system.

12. Macboatmaster

I do not advise you to try a new PSU if this means purchasing one, against borrowing one.
    I know you say all was OK before you powered on this morning, but was anything changed to your knowledge on the previous session
    Do you know if any updates were installed
    IF ANY changes were made post before proceeding

My suspicion is the board rather than the CPU and I do not suspect the PSU, so if you are going to have to BUY a PSU then as I said I would not do so

Take out if you have reinstalled them both cards, connect to I/O port

PUT just ONE stick of ram in D2 that is second slot to right of CPU

LEAVE CASE OPEN

Connect power

Press the START button ON the Motherboard - not on the case

IF the CPU LED stays lit solid red

PRESS the reset button on the motherboard

THOSE onboard buttons are just below the QCode LEDS

Report the results please

13. Tr4ne

Tr4ne Thread Starter

I know you didn’t tell me to buy a new PSU, but I have no other one to try or to borrow. So I figured if it didn’t fix the issue I would return it.

As for your questions:

I am the only one that uses the PC, and I did not run any updates, either for windows nor the BIOS itself. I don’t have anything set to auto update as far as I know. Even my anti virus programs ask first.

I just did what you asked with the RAM. The red led stayed lit solid, but when I pressed the MB reset button, nothing happens. I tried holding it also and nothing happens.

I tried both RAM sticks (separately of course), and it was the same with both of them.

14. Tr4ne

Tr4ne Thread Starter

I also removed and reseated the CPU and that didn’t change anything.

15. Macboatmaster

I suspect board, but please do let us know how it goes.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1236487

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice